Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ways To Speed Up Split Database on Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

peryan77

Programmer
May 7, 2004
US
I have a split database on the network, unfortunately it is too slow. Are there ways to speed up the connection??

Some users access it using WAN.

Unfortunately, they will not let me create a SQL Server Database.

Two ideas to consider:

1. Local data caching. Instead of binding the objects in the front end of the database directly to the back-end data, create empty copies of the data tables in the front-end and populate with filtered data from the back-end depending on the operation. This will speed up issues with data-bound objects, but you will need to get creative on data updates and validation.

2. Indexing. Make sure your tables have sufficient indexes on key fields. These would be fields that are used as identifiers, foreign keys, or common filters for queries. This will speed up data retrieval from the back-end.

Hope this helps.

- Glen

Know thy data.

I've heard, but not had the chance to verify, that putting your back end close to the root of the network share (eg \\server\share$\backend.mdb rather than \\server\share$\databases\perryan\SpecialSytem\backend.mdb) helps.

Worth a try! Other than that, as Glen says make sure your indexes are in place, don't link tables with data that never/rarely changes, keep them on the front end, etc.
You can also make it seem faster than it is by making forms open quicker. Don't put record sources into combo/list boxes until the user needs them (use the onEnter event) don't have your form bound to a record source by default, do it OnOpen and set it to a smaller data set. Little things like this should help tremendously.

Ben

B

----------------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara "Where are all the stupid people from...
...And how'd they get so dumb?"
rockband.gif
NoFX-The Decline
----------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot. I will use all the methods I can. The database is quite small now, but will grow as I continue to add more features and data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back