Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Way to test dhcp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgaliardo

MIS
Nov 30, 2004
We just switched circuits from frame-relay to ppp to one of our remote offices. We also switched routers - both Cisco 1721. We have a connection, but clients can't seem to get an ip address through DHCP. DHCP is given out through a Windows 2000 Server in the corporate office. We have a similar setup to another facility and DHCP works fine. I should point out that the remote office that works fine was a new setup from scratch. This one that is not working was an existing office and exisiting DHCP scope.

I have the ip helper configured on the Ethernet adapter. I am trying to determine where we are dropping DHCP packets. Are there any tests I can run from the router to determine we can't get addresses through DHCP.

Assigned static addresses work fine and users can connect to the corporate office.

Thanks.

I think you can run a 'debug dhcp detail' and it will show you proxy dhcp attempts, could be wrong. Might want to see if you can log/sniff at the dhcp server and look for proxied dhcp requests, though frankly, you might want to consider running dhcp on the router - it's fairly simple, and I've never had reliability issues with IOS dhcp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back