Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Way to "append to media" in Netbackup 3.4.1? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohiti

MIS
Mar 25, 2002
US
Company is moving from an old version of Backup Exec to Netbackup 3.4.1

Quite often we have situations where it will be useful to put more than one job (or class) on the same tape. I'm quite a newbie to the new software, but after extensive searching I can't for the life of me figure this out. Any ideas?

Thanks.

What do you mean by “put more than one job or class on the same tape”? A pool of tapes can be assigned to multiple classes, NetBackup will then use this tape pool at its leisure, backing up multiple clients (jobs) to a tape, even backing up multiple clients (jobs) at the same time, (If multiplexing is enabled at the class and storage unit level) to a tape providing the tape has the capacity; when the tape is full, off to the next one in the pool.

Please provide more information on your problem.

Thanks,

StickyBit.

You're right, I worded that pretty poorly.
Hypothetical situation:

All we've got is one class that backs up one server, 30GB for a full backup daily. We're using hcart tapes, 200GB capactiy.

We would like to have Monday->Friday's jobs all on one tape, AKA "append" each daily job to the tape, instead of overwriting the tape. We need to get the most out of each tape we have, and if we're unable to do this, we're in a situation where instead of filling up one tape per week (150/200gb), we're using five tapes a 30/200gb capacity.

Thanks for the response,
Jesse

Hi!
This I belive is the standard behaveor for netbackup.
If you have say 10 clients and you want to do a backup of all locale drives every day and say monday to thursday incremental backups and on friday full backup.
You can do this in a singel class (job).

Creat a class and creat two seperat schedules on for inc backupes and one for full backup. On the tab files you choose the all_local_drives and on the client tab appen all youre computers to be in this class.

This would resault in all the backupes going to the same pool. If you want the full backupes to go to a different pool you can override the pool on the full schedule.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I think I understand what your problem is. Bacically your're saying that every time a backup runs, you have to use a new tape because NetBackup will overite the previous image on the tape?

If so, this is weird! Netbackup should append all backups to the tape until the tape is full with images, and these images will not expire untill the rentention period expires for that class. Netbackup should never overite images!

3/26/2002 6:05:30 PM - mounting A00003
3/26/2002 6:05:53 PM - mounted; mount time: 000:00:23
3/26/2002 6:05:53 PM - positioning to file 36
3/26/2002 6:08:20 PM - connecting
3/26/2002 6:08:20 PM - connected; connect time: 000:00:00
3/26/2002 6:08:20 PM - positioned; position time: 000:02:27
3/26/2002 6:08:20 PM - begin writing
3/26/2002 6:08:53 PM - end writing; write time: 000:00:33
the requested operation was successfully completed(0)

Every new backup (status) should say "positing to file n", (each new backup is being appended to the tape) what does your output say?

Is this what your're trying to say, or am I confused?

StickyBit.

Sticky, you understand exactly.
I'm really just starting to develop our new system. I guess I was under the impression that since this was a modifyable setting in the old BackupExec, I was looking for a similar setting in NetBackup.

I ran an experiment, and you are perfectly right. Thank you very much. Sorry for the newbie question. :)

Hey, I was once a newbie myself, and I'm only doing what others did for me (sharing knowledge!).

Check out this great mailing list for Veritas Netbackup, You will find lots of pro's, that aren’t afraid to answer newbie questions. Your project will be up and running flawlessly in no time.

Being apart of this mailing list is a must, if you want to effectively administer Veritas Netbackup. Tek-tips is still cool though :)

StickyBit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back