Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wave Device for Voice Modem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ask

Programmer
Sep 21, 2001
IN
I have 56K US Robotics Voice Modem(on WinME). When I install the modem, alongwith the modem driver, it also installs a wave device called 'Unimodem half duplex wave device'(from microsoft). Now, when I am having a voice chat I am unable to hear the incoming voice, whereas my voice seems to reach the other side. The audio recording/playback test fails saying that the sound card is Half Duplex.
The system was working alright till sometime back. Is this the problem of the wave device driver? Tried re-installing WinME. Also tried installing the latest wave device driver from microsoft -'Unimodem V', but fails to install. No such (compatible)drivers were found on manufacturer's CD too. Half-Duplex Problem? If so, How to make Full Duplex? Please Help.

I am trying to build up a small prototype which i will inject into a more complex project of mine.

In this prototype i want to make my Rockwell chipset based voice modem, to be able to handle telephone calls so that i can hear some telephone call via a speaker and answer back through a mike. All the AT commands are to be done via Hyperterminal, so that after i manage to do it, I will do a nice program in C to do the At commands...

Anyways, I tried several approaches to try to solve this problem - My first basic approach was to simply plug in a mike in the <Mike in> of the modem and the speakers to the <Speaker out> of the modem. I then converted my modem into voice mode by issuing AT#CLS=8 and then AT#VLS=0. I then tested the situation by calling to another telephone number i have, and see whether a conversation can be established. What happened is that at first i heard something from the speakers, but as soon as the VCON string was received i heard nothing more... Complete silence, and I couldn't be heard neither when speaking through the mike... The only positive thing was that the DTMF tones pressed by the other person on the telepghone, could be registered and seen in the Hyperterminal.

I then tried to put a patch cable connecting the speaker out of the sound card to the mike in of the voice modem. I then played some music on winamp hoping that it would be streamed out of the sound card into the coice modem's input.. I repeated the same procedure on the hyperterminal as above, and again... complete silence!! I cannot hear anything nor speak.

Can somebody help me out?? I would be very grateful.

(By the way, i don't know whether the wave device of my modem is full- or half-duplex, all i know is that it is
around 5 years old).

I know this is an old thread but I just solved the problem for me. I'm using xp and have a Jaton modem data fax voice caller id. I could not get it too duplex until I installed the software on the CD called QuickLink Message center. Now it works fine. This is a $10 modem so you can try it with little risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back