Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wave Device for Voice Modem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ask

Programmer
Sep 21, 2001
IN
I have 56K US Robotics Voice Modem(on WinME). When I install the modem, alongwith the modem driver, it also installs a wave device called 'Unimodem half duplex wave device'(from microsoft). Now, when I am having a voice chat I am unable to hear the incoming voice, whereas my voice seems to reach the other side. The audio recording/playback test fails saying that the sound card is Half Duplex.
The system was working alright till sometime back. Is this the problem of the wave device driver? Tried re-installing WinME. Also tried installing the latest wave device driver from microsoft -'Unimodem V', but fails to install. No such (compatible)drivers were found on manufacturer's CD too. Half-Duplex Problem? If so, How to make Full Duplex? Please Help.

Update the drivers for your sound card. Modems are not full (or half) duplex, sound cards are. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I have the HaM (Data/Fax/Voice) modem Copyright (c) 2000 Intel Corporation,

It has voice capabilities and I find that when I tried to use the headset Mic & Speaker I can hear fine but the voice capabilities will not allow me to speak what am I doing wrong how can I fix this?

I am in a Win ME enviroment
I want to use my headset (Radio Shack special) to make phone calls through a program called Sidekick 98. Any ideas I have the BitWare software and tried to use the windows setting to just do a voice recording and the volume sounds really low but no where to adjust the volume can you give me some ideas?

VivLaBond

Your mic must be plugged into your sound card, not your modem.
Check the audio properties, by right clicking on the speaker icon in the taskbar, select "adjust audio properties", and slide the volume up there. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Hi just I've got some curious questions.
I have a motorola 56k PCI modem full duplex, and I would like to know if I can use it to make a phone calls and thing like that and heard sound from program as windows starting, if I open some program and all that stuff, or I need to have a sound card to do all this.

Hi..
please help. ive got a rockwell 56k modem, and also a gigabyte motherboard with built in creative sound card. when i try to record, in the create voice recorder, i can do that perfectly, but when i try to use the standard windows voice recorder, it does not detect a mic. im trying to use net meeting, but for some reason, it does not detect a mic either. please help me... what can i do, to correct it. also, when i start computer, i get a message saying found new hardware "wave device for voice modem" but i do not have the drivers on my sound driver cd, or the modem cd. how can i sort this problem out?
please help
thanx
saff

i have a ViVa/56LC-SM (or 56SLM) modem. when i installed win98 most of my drivers messed up. i had to install all of them for the disk expect for my wave device for voice modem driver. it is not on the disk, and i cant find it anywhere on the internet. all i need is the driver. can you tell me where to get it?

i have an motorola sm56 pci speakerphone modem.
but on xp it is not detected. where can i get the drivers
of xp.

i have a crystal cs4216-kl voice modem. i cant find drivers for them anywhere.i have searched all around the net. i wonder, do you know where i can get drivers to support it?

I am using WinME and SoundBlaster Live! Value sound card...I keep losing sound output (wave out) after the computer does a " updating ESCD " (sometimes with success..but each time I lose the sound...any idea why?? and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Hello,heres kind of a hard one i dont what sound card i have and i cant find the program around the house or even look on the web for one because i dont know my sound card type...but when i go to system and sound and video game controllers theres nothing, i think someone like my brother may have messed with it how would i figure out what type of sound card i have in my computer?

Re. windows loading a unimodem half duplex device. This is nothing to do with the Sound card capabilities. Windows 2000 and XP only have a half duplex driver. Typical....
I have a full duplex Creative Live platinum and yet because the windows XP driver is half duplex I am screwed

I have a Jaton WINCOMM II modem running on a system with a 933 Mhz processor, 320 Mb RAM, and Windows 98 Second Edition. The problem is with something called a "wave device for voice modem" and its driver, or lack thereof. There is the yellow exclamation point through the device because there is no driver installed for it. When I try clicking on the update driver button, Windows cannot find one anywhere. I have searched on the CD that came with the modem, the CD that came with the sound card, the Windows 98 installation disk, and my c:\ drive. No drivers can be found for this device. I have updated the driver for the modem at the Jaton website, but there doesnt seem to be any driver for the "wave device". Is there soemthing I am doing wrong? The device is listed as a sound, video, and game controller. Where else can i look? What else can I do?. Thanks in advance for any help.

Same problem as others, no driver for "Wave Device for Voice Modem", and can't find it anywhere. Also have Windows 98 SE. Help me, Ronda

Here's a reply I got from Jaton, the maufacturer of my WINCOMM II modem. Some of it is a little hard to understand. I think it was either translated or written by someone who has English as a second language. If someone could please make a little more sense out of it and maybe say it a little more clearly, that would be great. Also, please tell me if it makes sense. I did do a search on the CD driver disk for the driver, but windows couldnt find one. Anyway, here's the reply from Jaton:

Hello....

You seem to have install half of the modem driver. The driver for the Wave Device is locate in the same folder where you find / locate the main modem driver (same modem driver folder on the CD disc).

If you still can not install the complete driver, you may want to start again or download the driver from the website -
If you can not get the driver from our site, you can try download from
Intel site - Check your modem checkpset and compare to the download page. It should start with MD56xx or
MD34xx. Intel go by Chipset that they made and not by product or model.

Download, Decompress and Save to a folder (i.e. Temp).

Check any modem driver from Windows Device Manager if there any modem showing before you can install another modem driver into Windows (My Computer - Control Panel - System). Remove PCI Communication Device from category Other Device (if availabe). When all modem driver is remove, then restart Windows to redetect a new hardware. When Windows find a new hardware, you can install the driver by letting Wizard search for the best driver. Next, select Only "Specify a location" and click on Browse botton and start finding the path / folder you save the decompress files. It should have all the necessary files (CAT, INF and SYS file extension) to install for the modem. If Windows Wizard can not find or missing a file, locate to the same folder where you save the files and continue until Finish.

Make sure the folder or the path is where the driver is in when you Browse.

Regards,
Technical Support....

fourtycaliber,

Here is what it sounds like to me. Things that are in parentheses are generally my comments.

You seem to have installed only half of the modem driver (voice modem drivers generally consist of a hardware driver for the modem and a WAV driver to convert the raw modem data into WAV format). The driver for the WAV device is located in the same folder in which you find the modem driver. (The implication is that you should attempt to install the WAV Device driver manually, under Control Panel, Add New Hardware).

If you still cannot install the complete driver (modem and WAV device), you may want to start again by downloading the driver from their website. (You will need to remove the modem under Control Panel, System, Modem).

If you cannot download the driver from their site, then try downloading it from Intel's website.

Check your modem's chipset and compare that against the download page (the chipset identification is normally silk screened on the modem chip of the modem board). The chipset identification should be in a format like:
MD56xx or MD34xx. Intel's website is organized by chipset identification, not by any product or model number.

Download the driver (from either website), decompress (unzip) the driver, and then save it to a temporary folder, e.g., C:\Temp.

Make sure that there is not a modem driver installed already (Control Panel, System) before attempting to install a modem driver (you cannot install 2 WinModems in a computer because they do not have a PCI controller on board). Remove any PCI Communication device from the "Other Device" category (if one exists). When all of the modem drivers have been removed, restart Windows and it will detect hardware automatically as it boots. When Windows finds the new hardware, you can install the driver that you just downloaded and unzipped by either letting the Wizard detect the best driver (make sure that you have checked the box to let it search the hard drive), or by selecting Specify a location.

If you choose to specify the location, click the Browse button and navigate to the temporary folder where you unzipped the driver in (C:\Temp). It (the directory that you selected) should have all of the files (.CAT, .INF and .SYS) that you need to install the modem.

If you choose to use the Wizard, and it cannot find some of the files needed to install the driver, use the Browse button to navigate to the temporary folder where you unzipped the driver (C:\Temp), and continue searching manually for any files that the Wizard cannot find until you Finish.

Make sure that the folder (or path) where the driver was unzipped is the folder that you choose when you use the Browse button.

pansophic

Wow!

Now listen up! because I think I have saved a lot of people from having heart attacks. This modem problem is seemingly very widespread, certainly according to the pages on this site. I have the same problem which many others also suffer and I resolved it by drastic means.

I read everything to do with modems, visited countless sites; but not one told me the answer. I got the old message from WINDOWS saying that "new hardware has been detected, and windows will now look for......... blah blah blah!, Trying different COMS, installing different drivers, incuding the correct one and still getting he message "COULDN'T OPEN PORT"

The answer is in the registry. Apparently, WINDOWS does a poll of all H/ware & S/ware on the PC, and records/sets it's parameters. So, if you've booted WINDOWS with H/ware in situ, there will be an entry (key, value and data). Now faced with my prospect of either destroying the machine with a large hammer through frustration or locating the problem, I decided to read everything on modems and discovered, thanks to the WINDOWS technical services, that the reason installing a modem from its driver doesn't help is because WINDOWS has already allocated an entry in its registry.

So, run REGEDIT, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, ENUMERATOR, PCI and find the problem device. They are labelled Graphics, Screen, Sound, Media etc. Now here comes the brave bit, delete the key which starts "BUS" and mentions the bit you're having problems with (PCI COMMUNICATION DEVICE). Reboot and WINDOWS will find all of your H/ware and install correctly, two minute job and Robert's your father's brother.

I think I deserve at least 5 stars for that snippet of information, and no longer will I have to try and work out what I have done wrong in not getting a modem to work.

To be perfectly honest, I was at my whits end, and by deleting the key, I wasn't really bothered by the outcome because I thouht that I was looking at a FORMAT C: anyway.

Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

I installed a Broadxent V92 PCI fax modem to my pc. I have a windows 2000 professional operating system. When the modem was installed I lost the sound of my speakers and I can't hear the modem dialing or anything. Please help!!!

I had the same problem with "Wave Device for Voice Modem". I have an Intel 56K modem and win98. To fix the problem, just go to control panel, click HaM configuration, click uninstall, and click perform uninstall. When you reboot, the OS will search for the drivers. Reload drivers from your Modem CD or diskette. This time you should have the wave device for voice modem in your OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back