Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAV Start & Shut down sounds not playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesH

Programmer
Oct 24, 2000
US
I have a problem with my WAV files not playing for the start up and shut down sounds. All other WAV sounds work fine.

It doesn't matter what scheme is selected either. No error messages are displayed either.

I'm runing windows 98SE.

Thanks in advance

check in contol panel>sounds> then a speaker and sound file listed for startup and shutdown in windows

Yep, made sure of that already (a speaker is visible next to both, shut down and start up)???

Have you tried the wav files out when in Sounds.

Just because there is a speaker showing doesn't mean the file wav file still exists on your computer. If you click on it and then go to play, it will tell you if it can find the file or not. If it can't than that's the problem.

Just a thought.

Try using other wav files for your shutdown and start.

Hope this helps!

Lori ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

The sounds play ok, when in the 'Sounds' program.

As mentioned I've tried other sound schemes (& thus other sounds for start up and shut down) and still none get played when you start up or shut down.

Very strange...

Sorry, I didn't catch the part where you had already tried that. Old age creeping in, I guess! :)

It really is strange you can play it in sounds but it won't work, but I wonder if you have another device on the system that's using the same IRQ during shutdown and startup and that's why it doesn't work.

Most Wavs take IRQ 5, do you have a second printer port? That usually takes IRQ 5, I think. Just thinking out loud.

Have you looked in Device Manager and double clicked on computer to see what is using the irq's? It could even be something from the motherboard is IRQ 5.

Again, I hope you find out what's causing it and let us know, I'd really be interested in knowing for sure what the problem is.

Lori ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

After cleaning up my hard disk the problem seems to have gone. Very strange . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back