Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watching/converting videos. Opinion needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil6

Technical User
May 6, 2004
PT
Hello All.

Just wondering if someone could give an opinion on codec packs (or individual codecs) around. You see, I'm currently having trouble playing some videos (divx, xvid) I've downloaded and even more converting some to SVCD. On some, the picture has a "melting" effect, on others, I can listen to sound, but TMPGEnc doesn't recognizes the audio.
On others, it all goes well.

I've downloaded some codec identifiers (G-Spot) and all of them say that the codecs I have should be able to play the files. But they don't.

Just wanted some knowledge on this.

Thank you.

Any help from these type of sites?

FREEZE or Application hang - near 98%
thread779-896179

Is DirectX up to date and does running the DxDiag tool give you any clues?

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Some of these I didn't know. I'll check them out and let you know.

Thank you.

I've run every single test and all of them tell me I have the necessary codecs. FFdshow, to be precise. But, still, the video doesn't play. Well, it does, but with squares on it... :)

Besides, now that I've installed ffdshow again, everytime I try to play any other video, it plays, but the explorer gives an error and needs to be closed. Any ideas? The only way I have to prevent that is using ffdshow's "raw configuration".

Here is my two cents:

The code "packs" that are commonly found are a mistake. Use Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall everything that was a Code package.

You likely will have to look in \Program Files\ to find an uninstall for other codecs that were or were not part of the package.

Get rid of them all.

Now download and apply only the Microsoft codecs:
Every once in a while you will find an audio or video without the right codec. Use the download features of G-Spot or Windows Media Player to obtain the needed Codec.

Thank you bcastner, I'll try that. I'll let you know of the results.

Allright, I've removed all the codecs I had and installed the Microsoft codecs. It still doesn't play me the video (although G-Spot tells me I should be able to see it) but at least, the explorer doesn't give that error anymore.

Any more ideas?

I've forgot to mention that the video in question, that once played pixelized and blurred (yes, both), now appears as a completely green screen.

If I remember correctly from when I had that problem it comes from the FFDshow filters being incompatible with newer divx/xvid content.

I would make sure you UNINSTALL all extra codec packs you have installed, then install a new one I would recommend the matroska pack which is a very nice clean pack with only necessary codecs. As to many seems to cause more problems than solving it.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Nope, I've installed this and it's the same. The same pixalizes/faded image appears.

Any chance I have to configure ffdshow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back