Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watchguard interface issue using tap - how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaelon56

MIS
May 13, 2003
US
Hello to all. I'm new in this group but am a long time participant in the Sniffer Tek-Tips forum. I'm an SE for a hardware manufacturer that makes network taps among other products. Our 1/100 aggregation style tap is a relatively simeple device and the only issues I've encountered with end user having problems have always been isolated to attempts to tap links that were already at 100 meters or so before the tap insertion loss or using a x-over when they don't need to.

Today's dilemma relates to someone with a 3Com managed Erthernet switch and a Watchguard firewall. She's trying to use the tap due to mirror port oversubscription issues with the 3Com. Cable lengths are short - about 3 feet on either side of the tap. It's a truly passive tap - the tap itself does not negotiate link - it only allows the devices on either side of it to negotiate with each other.

She can't get link between the two devices unless she puts a crossover cable in one particular location but even then she can't seem to ping between devices (even though their interfaces show that link is up). Her original link does not require a x-over and thus the tap should not introduce the need for one.

I'm baffled and will really appreciate any ideas on what may be unique about the Watchguard environment. I'd provided support to many hundreds of customers (or more) on using these taps with Cisco Pix, Checkpoint, SourceFire and other devices and with all kinds of switches including Nortel, Cisco, Foundry and Extreme. But I don't know for a fact and also doubt that any of our previous end users have had the 3COM and Watchguard combination.

Sorry to bug you guys here btu gettgin phoen support live form Watchgurad has been less than successful.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Senior Sales Engineer

have your tried to change the interface on the firebox to be 10MBS and full duplex instead of Auto. this can be found in the network...configuration...nic configuration menu in the policy manager

Thanks for the suggestion - not sure of she's tried this yet. We now have an open incident ticket with Watchguard support but thus far now answers. If/when we see success or confirm lack of same I'll post here to that effect. I might just have to send Watchguard a sample unit to let them test.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Senior Sales Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back