Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watch over network user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampar

Programmer
Jul 11, 2005
CA
Hi,

I wish I could watch the network users as if we had a terminal service. Any program that would allow me to "spy" them to make sure they don't spend half of the day watching their emails and other stuff?

Can't find a way to do it in w2k3 server

Sure, VNC has that feature.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Really? Nice, I already had vnc but didnt about this feature.

thx

You have to set the client ot not require approval to connect.

Regards,

Mark

Is there a way to hide the vnc tray icon? I would like to be incognito :)

Also, im not sure that the free version is good for business use, sigh

Still, thx, a look further for this solution

best regards,

Depends on the version you have to be able ot hide it. I've seen that as an option.

Just be cautious that you are not breaking company privacy policies etc. Make sure you are doing this with your supervisors knowledge and agreement.

Regards,

Mark

I have a similar question. I am migrating from a Mac lab where I have the server in my room, with Rempote Desktop Control, peer oversight/control, etc. to a MS Windows XP lab that I barely have the admin rights to install software (I do, but only one the specific machines in my lab, whihc is currently be established now).

The district admin has told me about a program thatI can purchase, but it will be next year, if ever, if my supervisor will approve the purchase for the entire department, etc.

I too want to be able to oversee what my students are doing, where they are going, etc. But I also want to be able to turn off access to certain programs, like if I don't want the students to have access to the internet, can I disable the internet on a specific computer? What would be nice is in a room of 24 students stations, to disable the internet on 20 of them...so that only 4 stations have internet access at any given time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

DL

VNC is great, found only one fault if you connect to user who is using remote desktop connect to a terminal server, the refresh is terrible you can't see a thing, i use proxy master in those cases.

I wouldn't recommend VNC for education, at my old collage my teachers have software so they could control, or share control with everyone in the room, to aid teaching, i 'm sorry but i don't know what its called.

Your server, if it has the user accounts on it, you can set Group policies on the users to restrict software, in active directory(admin.msc)

If you find a user doing something you don't like. I would recommend before taking any action, that you send everyone and mail reminding them of the agreement they signed when being employeed or enroling. There have been legal cases where companies have found users doing things they shouln't and been sued for unfair dismisal because of the way it was dealt with. In the U.K unless it is covered by another law the use must be given 1 warning first.

If you set a fake proxy address in IE via a GPO that the user can not change, then that machien will not be able to go out onto the Internet but will still be able to browse your intranet. This is the easiest way to lock that down.

If all you are looking to do is help students, then you could always use the built in features of XP for remote assistance.

Regards,

Mark

We use some software called EagleVision. It is really very good and is free for education. Only thing is it will not stop internet use, but you can take control and stop them doing anything at all.

For info we recently upgraded to XP SP2 and we needed to open port 5900 for it to continue to work (As with VNC).

Also I have a script that interrogates a HD of a PC and you can tell what they have been doing on the internet. It is quite a lengthy script, let me know if you want me to post it.

Another alternative...If you need to watch a TS session you should connect to the TS server via RDP yourself and use TSMANAGER to remote control the session. Refresh rates are not a problem this way usually.

Regards,

Mark

Too bad GenControl is a service as is reported in Event Viewer so the user can see who logged onto their PC using it

i use Netop at my school, deployed classroom by classroom it will allow you to view the whole class via thumbnails, full view etc, you can take control of the mouse and keyboard, blank the screen, shut the machine down etc.
if will also allow the creation of 'polocies'. these polocies will allow a teacher to set waht programs they can use and even what web sites if any they can have access to.
You can run curriculum tests from it, display student work in real time on the overhead etc.
the feature i like is it can be run in 'stealth' mode....there is no indiaction you are watching a student...until it's too late for them.
But from a tech point of view, i can have all these features and it's not installed on the server. It runs locally of the client machines with the teachers machine as the control.
Each teacher can log on creating their own preferences and polocies......great tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back