Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WATCH OUT FOR PowerPoint Viewer ppv.exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosepetal

Technical User
May 31, 2004
US
I thought that the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer (ppv.exe) would solve all our problems regarding the CD we are going to publish, which contains PowerPoint presentations, as well as text.

HOWEVER, ppv.exe does not understand many of the animation features that you can assign to a PowerPoint slide.

I just spent two weeks trying to figure out why our publishing company couldn't get the correct presentation onto the prepress CD. Turns out I was displaying the presentation haphazardly with or without the viewer. Since I though it was the wrong one, I would re-ftp the good one again and again and again.

Anybody want to see my scars?

Hi there rosepetal,
I agree with you that Microsoft PowerPoint viewers are not very good. The many different versions are not backward compatible in terms of effects. Indeed the only one that seems to work universally is PowerPoint viewer 97 although it does lose some of the effects in a presentation.
I am not sure if any more up to date viewers exist that will work more reliably.
Regards
Raphael

Try using Pack & Go to transport your presentations. This packs the presentation in a ready to run exe format without need for any viewer or any version of PPt being installed.

Regards: tf1

rosepetal,

There are currently 2 versions of the powerpoint viewer available on the microsoft website.

The old faithful original powerpoint viewer (circa powerpoint 97)

and the new viewer that supports the new animation features of powerpoint 2002/Xp/2003

more reading on the viewers can be found here
Download Free PowerPoint Viewers

This page details exactly what will and will not work with the viewers

Cheers

TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back