Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Was/Is Paradox ver 7 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocmisc

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
I found a ver 7 package on eBay with all the manuals. Since I've never used Paradox for windows I thought that this might be an easier version (than 10 or 11) to start with. And it's about half the price of the new version. However if it was full of bugs or a real bad release then that would be a bad idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Robin
rocmisc@bellsouth.net

Robin,

I have used P7 in the past for quite a while, with NO problems that I can recall. I can't remember why I upgraded to P10, something to do with my version of 7 being from a magazine cover disc, so no license.... Depends on the price as You can purchase P10 in with Wordperfect Office Pro for about $70. Office includes Wordperfect, Quatro Pro Paradox and a whole host of other goodies. Lance will tell you more I am sure, but there are more functions etc. in the newer version, it all depends on what you want to do with it! In some ways P3.5(Dos) for me was far better, P7 was a very steep learning curve with ObjectPal after PAL for Dos.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Lewy

Lewy or anyone,
Someone said that the manuals with P10 weren't much to write home about. For a windows beginner, would you say the full manual set with P7 makes the job any easier?

thanks,
Robin

Robin,

Paradox 7 was a pretty good version, though you have to take care to note *which* Paradox 7 you're looking at. If it's Paradox 7 for Windows 3.1 and for Workgroups, then it's Paradox 7.16. Okay, but 16-bit code.

Paradox 7 for Windows 95 and Windows NT (aka Paradox 7.32) is much better, though you'll want to patch it (ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Paradox/PdoxWin/pdx7upd4.exe). Mind you, this was the most time-consuming, weird, and difficult patch that Borland ever produced. Read the instructions carefully and make sure you reboot between each and every step.

Once it's patched, it's great, though I'd rather use Paradox 9 or later.

As far as the manuals go, well, let's just say that you're not going to find a version of Paradox with the manuals that the original documentation team thought you really needed unless you're using Paradox 1.0...and belive me, you don't really want to go there.

As a product, Paradox 7 is fine. The documentation...well, let's just say that I held on to my Paradox 5.0 docs for a reason. :)

See if you can find a copy of Inside Paradox 5.0 for Windows by Rich Wagner (along with some help from others, *cough*).(try or
Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Robin,

Lance is correct with regards to the manuals - they are poor. Look on Mike Prestwoods site there is a whole plethora of information including most of his book on progamming paradox 9 available for download, free at:

Otherwise I can reccomend the sites Lance mentioned. I purchased a set of manuals and a couple of text books that helped me no end.

Good luck,

Lewy

Robin,

I think 7 for windows 95 was brilliant (come back Borland all is forgiven). A little dated now but excellent for introducing people to paradox and power database programming. Also because it was given away free on magazines under a license agreement that it can only be used for learning Paradox it is a very cost effective way to get organisations to start using Paradox.

Mike Prestwood's books are superb as are the version 5 manuals. Though I can only comment from the ObjectPal perspective.

Regards

Bystander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back