Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WARNING-Tone Resource Price Gouging

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHCARon

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
According to the documentation the TN2182C Global-Tone Clock is not supported in the G650. To get this functionality Avaya configures a TN2312BP IPSI circuit pack. And the latest Minimum Stockable, Usable, and Certifiable Vintages document says the TN2312BP is "required for G650 operation".

From an economic stand point Avaya is asking customers to replace the tone resource board that costs roughly $1300 with one that costs roughly $6000. Better than 500% mark-up.

I realize that in an IP-conncect S8700 the IPSI would be necessary, but in a direct-connect S8700 the IPSI is overkill when you have to include Expansion Interface cards as well.

We were planning to upgrade a G3r to a direct-connect S8700 using G650 carriers, but the cost of IPSI's alone is over $200000 (critical reliability, 10 racks; 20 PNs).

Watch out and read through your configs carefully.

Thanks, WHCARon

Options ...
you are using a Multi Connect Config and that means that you can share one IPSI per 5 port network (even in critical reliable), so long as it is per PNC.

For tone, you can rely on call classifiers, thus lowering your cost.

I chose to go with IP connect and I do suppliment additional tone using call classifier circuit pack.

WLEONG - Correct. The 1-to-5 is correct. The trouble with using the TN744D is that it does not support call progress tone generation, system clocking or synchronization functions.

JAYMZWORLD - Correct.

The point was the PRICE. It's just wrong that Avaya says you can't use a TN2182B, forcing you to buy a TN2312BP just to get the functionality of the Tone-Clock (with a 500% mark-up).

All our systems are critically reliable and we were planning to migrate a 10 cabinet G3r to an S8700 using the G650's (as the PBX Room is moving). But the cost of all the extra TN2182BP's is huge. We're probably going to stay with the MCC's and have to swing cabinets with the move vs. install new.

Thanks, WHCARon

The IPSI's are required for 8700's, they are what provide the interface and "translation" from the IP based 8700 information to the TDM backplane. They do much more than tone clocking...

JayNEC - Correct. But I should not need so many just to get tone resources in a port network. In my example, I would need four IPSI's in a dual-port network stack of five G650 carriers (two per PN in a critically reliable configuration). When you expand that example to 20 PN's the number is 40 IPSI's. If I removed the G650 carriers from the configuration and use the MCC then I only need 8 IPSI's and some TN2182C Tone Clock circuit packs. The cost difference is staggering.

Personnaly, I think the TN2182C will work in the G650, but I've never tried it. For example, Avaya says you can't have DATA MODULES or the TN750 Announcement Board in an S8700, but they work well. The only shortcoming is that the data module can't be used as a processor interface and you can't back up announcements across a LAN. But both work where Avaya is saying to replace them with higher cost solutions.

Just pointing it out.

Thanks, WHCARon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back