Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Warning message when printing UNIX to NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

leddy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
GB
I have a warning message each time one of my users prints from Unix (AIX) to NT 4.

Error id 4005
Source lpdsvc

Request for unsupported print format received from <<username>>: job may not print correctly.

The print is OK

It is NT 4 PDC with Service pack 6a
It is printing to Roich printers
Tested on 2 differnt type with the same error message.

Many thanks

Leddy

I am not sure but it could be the print fomrat used. Plain printing uses ASCII text. Now the AIX machine may be using an ASCII format (Possibly a newer ASCII version.)not reconized by NT4. What version of AIX are you using? 4.3+? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

AIX 4.3.3

Not quite no, It's using PCL drivers, but not the standard Unix ones. Our accounting system comes with its own printer drivers. What I've done is create UNIX spoolers to point to Windows spoolers, and the printer is attached to them. I think the reason why I did it was that if you had windows and AIX pointing to the same network port and 2 people tried to print simultaneously, then this caused things to hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back