Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Warcraft 3 and other games crash to desktop after 5 or so minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirkakkarot

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
I'm running the following system:

P3 500
384 megs sdram
voodoo 3 3000 16 meg
win 98 SE

I think my problem is that there aren't any Voodoo 3 drivers that support directx 8.1. Warcraft 3 requires DX 8.1 to run. If I use the latest official 3dfx driver set, warcraft 3 gives me a "unable to initialize direct x error.
I downloaded and installed a 3rd party driver (xpentors optimizers, or something like that), and warcraft 3 will run, but then bails to the windows desktop after 5 or so minutes of play. I noticed that alot of my other games such as starcraft bail to the desktop too, but usually after about 30 or so minutes. Blizzard claims on their site that Warcraft 3 is compatible with voodoo 3 cards. If this is so I would LOVE to know what they did to get it to run without crashing. Their technical support is crap so I thought I would post my problem here.

I'm about ready to just splurge and get a geforce 3 or something, I'm tired of messing with this voodoo card.

if you can pick up a GeForce 3 or GeForce 2 MX440 (64MB) works just fine with WC3

i tested that game on a p3 500 512MB of ram, Via chipset MB

now my friend who runs on win98 and 256MB of ram on a old Athlon 900 Slot A works fine too
so i will ask him when he gets back

WarCraft 3 Rocks

yeah, i've been having the same problem...i'm gonna try drivers found at even though they're supposed to be for voodoo 4 and 5, i'm guessing that the guy made 'em for 3 too...anyway, it couldn't hurt to try.

- eternal gremlin -

There isn't any official driver support for Voodoo cards any more!!!!!
Any drivers offered are enthusiasts that have modified the excisting drivers to work "in a fashion" with newer hardware, operating systems and 3D windows drivers (dirext X)
Time to move on and put yesterdays hero to rest.
Martin
R.I.P Voodoo Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

I miss 3DFX... Long live GLIDE!

Anyhow.... here is a place that hard cord 3dfx users go to get there drivers there are many 3rd party drivers that work well. I even found on for the Voodoo 5 5500 that works well with Windows XP. Several people have been releasing good drivers and keep them up to date.

Good Luck.

BTW, I heard a rumor that Nvidia is going to incorporate GLIDE technology in the next line of video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back