Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wanting to do failover routing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWeeble

Technical User
Oct 6, 2004
GB
Hi,

am needing to do failover routing on 2x 3725 routers over 1 leased line connecting the 2 sites and 2 adsl connections via VPN. All connections are internal to the 3725 routers. If anyone knows a website or a book with this this would also be helpful.

I was thinking of this being achievable using some kind of routing cost, but was unsure where to get started.

Thanks themut, however after a bit of investigation and looking at HSRP, BGP and all the standard flavours of link balancing and backup, it would seem inappropriate as I only have one cisco in each location. I have yet to find anything that seems to be my answer.

I have 2x 3725 in each of 2 locations, they are both linked by Leased Line (2M) and a BT Openworld ADSL connection with a VPN. I really want to avoid having to do this switchover manually.

Try to configure two static routes, one with a higher cost. The router will use the route with the best metric, when this route is unavailable it will use the higher cost route.

ip route <remote network> <mask> <far router IP>
ip route <remote network> <mask> <far router IP> 120

The later is the higher cost route.

I assume that these static routes can be the sames as per the below?

iproute 10.170.46.0 255.255.255.0 <t1address>
iproute 10.170.46.0 255.255.255.0 <dialer1foradsl>

Sorry, I mean like this!

iproute 10.170.46.0 255.255.255.0 <t1address>
iproute 10.170.46.0 255.255.255.0 <dialer1foradsl> 120

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back