Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wanted e Mail software for peer to peer

Status
Not open for further replies.

skully57

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
GB
Solution required i am working on a small office network that requires email internally on a peer to peer network with 5 nodes ?

Thanks

First what are you planning to use for your mail client? This may limit what you can use for a server.

There is one node used as a server so this will be the mail client.

???? What client program are you planning to use to get the mail - Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape Mail, something else....

I plan to use outlook if possible but i am willing to use anthing that works without having first to go onto the net as i want to keep it local?

Thanks for you help

That's what I was after. Using outlook will make the task quite easy if you have a win95 or 98 machine around. Use Windows Messaging (MS Mail) as the server. Info here:

All versions of Outlook except Outlook 2002 can access the MS Mail Postoffice.

Not having much luck yet but i will keep trying

What part are you not having luck with? Once Messaging is installed, you can create and administer the post office through control panel. Then add a service to Outlook for MS Mail.

I have been following this post. I have a similar situation, but I have all win2k boxes. Is it possible to run Messaging on a win2k box? If not is there something else I could use.

I don't think that Messaging (MS Mail) will run on 2K. There are many shareware solutions out there. Visit and search for 'mail server'. You may find something that suits your needs.

Alternatively, you can probably find a used win98 machine pretty cheap and use it exclusively for your Post Office. It doesn't have to much of a system.

smah. Although Outlook 2002 no longer supports MS Mail as a service, but someone has come up with a way to do it. Just follow this link.

I've used this, and it works fine with Win2K machines, it allows you to administer the post office through the control panel if you install that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back