Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to swap extneions on two phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabrock

MIS
Aug 31, 2006
US
I know this is probably a basic question, but I am inexperienced at phone programming. We have two phones one is extension 308 the other is extension 231.

Our system is setup so that the extensions follow the actual phone, I want to swap the phones, so I need also change the extensions.

I know this is a basic change, but can someone tell me how to do this. I do know how to get in the programming menu and am familiar with it's operations...

Thanks.

If the system is set up to follow the phone, just unplug them and move the phones. Nothing else to do. If that don't work, then it probably isn't set up to follow the phone and you can simply switch the ports at the punch block.

Turn off set relocation? Or maybe turn it on, depending on what exactly you want to do because I'm confused.

Let's see if I can clear this up.

I have two workstations, both workstations have a phone jack.

At Workstation A there is an M7310 with an extension of 231.

At Workstation B we have an M7208 with an extension of 308.

Now Workstation A doesn't really need the expanded functionality of the M7310 while the user at Workstation B does. So I unplugged the M7310 from Workstation A and plugged it in at Workstation B but the M7310 still kept the extension of 231 and the M7208 still kept it's extension of 308.

I need to change it so that the M7310 now has an extension of 308 and the M7208 now has the extension 231 - basically I want the extension to stay with the workstation, not the phone.

On the other hand, I do not want to completely turn off set relocation because 99% of the time when we move a phone it is because a user is moving and we want the extensions to move with the phone.

Hopefully that clears it up.

OK, here's what you need to do. Actually pretty simple.

1) Turn off set relocation. Get out of the config menu.
2) Swap the sets.
3) Turn on set relocation.
4) You'll probably have to shift lines around and program features on each set to match the button layout you want.

Key point, you can turn set relocation on and off and use each to your advantage. When set relocation is off you can move phones around and the extension stays with the jack/port. With set relocation on it stays with the phone/set.

I usually leave set relocation off unless I'm moving offices around, and I make sure to turn it off afterward. I also only move one pair of phones at a time. I had a case once where an entire office unplugged their phones and shifted around, the phones would not boot up when they plugged them back in. We had to move every phone back and then swap two at a time.

put phones back in original spot.
turn off set relocation.
now move phones.
Program set buttons.
turn set relocation back on if u want.

I keep set relocate on, but it depends on how your office works.
I had a situation where a new customer asked me to relocate a system to a different building, and when I got there the phones were already in boxes. I saw dollar signs that day.

if you want a quick fix you could also go into system programming and use change dns to fix the dn's back.
I personally hate using set relocation and try to leave it off. what happens if a cleanning crew tries to shampoo the carpet and unplugs a few phones or someone is rearanging their desk. just to big a risk to mess things up. I am old school i prefer to do all my moves at the block and keep the port /dn combination standard. if the system crashes and you loose programming when it comes back up or is replaced all the extensions will be in the right place.

T.R.
RCDD

there may not be any stupid questions
but their is a bunch of inquizative idiots
(myself included at times)

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up turning set relocation off, moved the phones, then turned set relocation back on.

Worked fine!

Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back