Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to setup wireless printing. What exactly is needed? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bErEsTh

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
Have 3 Computers at home. My office is connected directly to Linksys router and I am physically connected to printer in office.

One computer is laptop and has wireless connection to router (Wife’s computer)
One computer is desktop unit has wireless connection to router (Childs Computer)

What do I need to do (setup/ products) so that the two computers can print (wireless) to my printer in office?

ok,, tell me when I go wrong. You have established a wireless network at your house, and you can browser the network and "see" the other 2 machines? If this is correct, then share the printer from the pc that is physically attached to the printer. Then go to each pc and go thru the install printer wizard, telling the wizard, that you connect to the printer via a network, browse the network, and then attach to the printer. Keep the driver CD handy as you may need it, depending on the version of windows you are running at each pc. Probems???

You need to enable networking on the three computers. Once the network is live, on the office computer Start, Printers and Faxes, Add Printer, Network printer, and follow the wizard steps to create a shared printer.

Then go to each workstation, Network Places, double click to expand the icon for the office computer, and double-click the shared printer that appears to run the Add printer wizard on each of the two workstations.

So if I understand correctly, the 2 computers that are connected to the router for internet sharing only need to be enabled for networking? I do not need any additional hardware, like a wireless printer hub and such?

As of now, the three computers dont see each other (but truthfully I havent tried that yet either). Now they just share the internet.

Last question. Two of the three are Pro, one is Home. How is networking enabled? I thought by defintion that was alreday enabled with Pro, because that is what seperates Pro from Home.

No additional Hardware or Software required.

All versions of XP are network ready. XP Pro has more options and security models, but the default settings should be fine.

See Steve Winograd, MS-MVP's guide on Simple File Sharing with XP:
The most common stubling blocks are discussed in the article. Watch out for firewall issues, and enable the Firewall Exception for file and printer sharing if using SP2; and enable Netbios over TCP/IP in the properties sheet of your network connectioin, Internet Protocol, Properties, Adavanced, WINS tab. If an issue arises, check first with Hans-Georg's troubleshooter:
Or post a message here.

Thanks very much for all of your responses. I aprreciate it. Sorry for not keep you updated, had some other computer issues I had to resolve before i could proceed. I have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on all 3 machines. Firewall issues are resolved. What else am I missing? I can create any domain name for all 3 machines, like home right. I tried following the network wizard under the properties of my computer, to computer name. Do I need to do anything under computer management? Thanks once again for you patience.
(Just a reminder, they are all already sharing internet)

bErEsTh,

Ensure that all three computers are on the same workgroup.
Right click on "My Computer", choose "Properties" and then choose "Computer Name".
The default for XP Professional is "WORKGROUP" and the default name for XP Home is "MSHOME".
You can change the name by selecting the "Change..." tab.
Reboot all computers after making any changes and you should be able to install the printer through the add printer wizard.
Good luck,

-Brett

Hello once again. Thanks for your support & patience on this issue. I have tried what was suggested and all 3 computers see each other, but when I click on the computer with the printer, it says "name of computer not acessible. What permissions am I needing to set. Under Local Security Policy, Computer Management? Thanks once again.

bErEsTh,

Have you created accounts on the "office" computer for the other users that require access to the printer?
You can create the accounts in Computer Management/Users
The account names (on the office pc) must have the same credentials as on the Wife's and Child's computers.

Please let us know if this has been setup!

Thanks,

-Brett

I have not setup the accounts for the others. I knew there was somethng I was missing. This part I am confused about. Since these computers are simple accounts, no passwords, just click on the users name I am not sure how to set the account up to ensure proper use of the printer. Again all computers can see the share thru network places but thats it. thanks

Last question since I do not need any additional hardware/software. In what instance would I need something like a wireless print server? Even though the wireless laptop connects to the router that is linked to the computer that does have the printer? Thanks. I will let all know if it worked tomorrow.

ErEsTh,

A wireless print server is independent of a computer.
At the present time your (office) computer must be powered up before others can connect to and print to your printer.
The wireless print server allows access without the need to leave your computer running!
They are very easy to setup.
Here's a link to a Google search with more information:

-Brett

I tried what you suggested and it now works perfectly, just as I hoped. Thank you one and all for your help. Problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back