Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to restrict access to folders and .jpg files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni269

MIS
Apr 18, 2002
Hi I share my computer with friends and I don't want them to browse my photo archives when I'm not around. I'd like to password protect the folders they are in similar to how you put a password on a .doc or .xls file. I'd like them to have permission to browse the web with full access. I tried to create another login profile for them but it just made a bunch of new admin profiles... New to Vista and haven't read up on it yet - need to restrict some files quick! :) Thanks!

Toni

Better to create another user account and set it as a regular user (not Administrator). Then everything in your user account is kept seperate from them.

Oh, I for got the important part....

and then put a password on your user account.

Thanks I think so but when I tried to create new user account it just copied mine and I didn't know how to set the permissions differently. Guess I need to spend time in the help section and figure it out... Thanks again.

Toni

Hi Toni 269

Why not just create a zip folder and place all pics in there. - You can pasword a zip folder or you could in XP.

Mel

You can use this XP article as a guide but things are just a little bit different in Vista, still if you ignore the references to "Use simple file sharing [Recommended]" in the article, it may be a helpful guide.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP

I will try this when I get home thank you for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back