Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to Open .MOV in Stand Alone Quicktime Player! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidlieb

Instructor
Aug 26, 2004
US
Hello,

I've got a quicktime movie that I want to open in the seperate stand alone quicktime player when my users click the link. The movie currently opens in the IE window. How do I make the player automatically launch to display the movie?

Thanks!!!

you cant do anything. its their "side" of the problem as they designated qt as their media player plugin for their browser.
they will have to set it up in their QT player

Wrong answer WizyWyg. If the end user has QuickTime (Mac or Windows) installed on their machine you can code the html page to call the QuickTime Player App instead of the plug-in.
Set up a 'Poster' movie. Make a href to the file location and set <target> quicktimeplayer.
Example:
Take a look at the source code to see how I used the QuickTime Player to open and present the file.

I've been able to do this as well, but I need to launch the QT player from a text link rather than an image. Anyone know how to make that change???

Belidna

i am facing the same issue: need to launch the QT player from a text link.
don't think this is possible other than with Safari (right click and chose "open with quicktime player" option). but what about other browsers?
any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back