Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to learn VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irvineguy

MIS
Feb 7, 2006
US
Hello,
don't know much about VOIP, I'm currently holding a position as an Avaya administrator, however, there is no plan in implementing VOIP at the company I'm working.

But I am very interested in learning VOIP, where should I start?

Any recommendation is welcomed, thank you!

Maybe taking a look at ebay about VOIP & video conferencing will give you an idea what brands are popular.

& specialize in VOIP & VTC

Maybe you would like to know about TDM over IP, you can search by google.

Speaking of carieer VOIP,you may take a look at Dialogic, NMS and Brooktout(acquired by some company)website.

Look at something like OnDo SIP server and a softphone such a x-lite or SJPhone.

You'll get to dabble a bit and it's all free.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

That's what I was looking into! My friend did build one for his company.

I work as a telecomm tech in a hospital and we are thinking about VOIP. What is an Asterix PBX?

Hi,

Asterix PBX is open source with Linux. Its cost effective solution for any corporates. Its basically software based PABX which should be linked with Digium for interconnections.

Thanks,

C.R.Vidhu
CCNA & CCNP(Routing & Switching)

one major step is to learn that there is a difference between VoIP and IPT.

IPT (IP Telephony) is generally what most companies are rolling out...a phone system, if you will.

VoIP is a more general term that refers to any means of sending voice over an ip connection. Think about skype or Vonage that don't require the end user to maintain a phone system...

Zane D.
Systems Admin

Hi,

I am currently working in a company who plans to implement VoIP. What are the different products that Cisco carries for VoIP solutions? I heard about the Unified Communications Manager, but there are so many models. We are planning to initially install 2 IP Phones on each of our 5 sites. If this will work out fine, we will expand to our other offices.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Cisco over Avaya, Asterisk, and Siemens?

Thanks

Don't forget about the Samsung product. It can do TDM/VOIP, IP networking to your 5 sites. Their IP phones work very good and are pleasing to look at. Use Adtran products (Cisco language)and the Samsung for a reasonable price for an installation and support after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back