Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

want to learn JavaScript - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshep

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have been designing webpages using mainly Dreamweaver. There is JavaScript in my pages...navigation menus, close window etc. I can understand it to an extent but cannot write the code. I wish to learn it now and need something that starts off pretty basic. I also dont have much money to spend so online tutorials would be good. Does anyone know of any good ones and if I was to buy one book what would you recommend?

Many thanks,

Red

There are tons of ways of learing JS without spending much money...
BOOKS: Try any Dummies-series on Javascript, SAMS's Teasch yourself in 21 days: JavaScript...
ONLINE: (this is from NS, so some of the syntax might nok with IE, since IE and NS have had many fights over what should be universal and what shouldn't), also try (this one is a good one) but some people swear that this the best one, including my professor's Good luck in your learning quest... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

you could also try htmlgoodies.com - they have some js tutorials.
there are so many different web sites, I have tons of them bookmarked at home (I'm @ work now). Try doing a google search for "javascript tutorial". I bet there will be a ton of web sites for y ou to review with different tips and such.
Webmonkey is pretty good 'cause it will give you teh basics in a systenised approach. After that - any tip or tutorial you can get your hands on will add something to your knowledge. --------------------------------------------------
Goals are dreams with deadlines

Thanks! Hopefully I will learn it and then more than likely be back on here asking questions!!
Red

Javascript 1.2 by Peter Kent

Written specifically with the non-programmer in mind.

<endorsement>htmlgoodies.com</endorsement>

...got my feet wet there, and by reading posts in this forum, bouncing my 'beginner' questions off the group...i gotta say, this place is good for answering your ?'s in a timely manner, and without being condescending.

with notepad or similar text editor, some time and trial n' error, it'll come to you...alert() works so nicely for finding problems, tests, and so many other instances...

- spewn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back