Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to Increase Partition Size. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conman

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
IE
I have a W2K server which has been recently been upgraded from NT4(PDC). For some reason the primary partition is only a 1 gig partition, with active directory installed on the D: drive, the C: has only 80Mb free. I need to increase the size of my C: partition. This has become critical, I need to either do some sort of disaster recovery or Replicate the HDD's onto larger HDD's. Consideration are as follows, it's a raid server so I think the likes of Drive Image are out. Has anyone any Idea how I could go about this. Our backup is ArcServe 2000, we did try restoring onto a new larger pack but the AD would not run correctly, even after following Arcserve's instructions.
Thank you in advance for your help.

C.

I can give you exact details on how to do this as i have done it myself. You could as suggested use server magic but to be honest I have not used the server version of this software so if your server is mission critical i wouldnt trust it if i were you.

1)Do a tape backup of everything on c that you require ie winnt, program files, system state, etc, using the backup within 2000 not a third party one. Note the pagefile size if its on another partition!
2)As you intend re-sizing also do a seperate backup of info on other partitions on the disk.
3)Ignore your raid configuration as its not pertinent (though you will need the raid controller driver obviously!!)
4)Rebuild as workstation! (make sure you have your raid controller driver and do the F6 thing as soon as the setup screen appears.
5)Boot from installation cd and during setup set the partitions to the size you want.
6)When you get to the prompt for install directory (defaulting to WINNT) delete WINNT and put something else ie your name.
7)When workstation is built again using nt backup restore all files to their original location.
8)When it comes up as server delete the workstation directory (renamed as your name!)

Hope this helps,

Tim.

Thanks Tim, I will give it a go, it seems too simple, do you know if it looks after Active directory?

As long as you restore all the system information to its previous location and state its the same server!

Tim.

Sidsubnet I've tested this on a test server and you're a genius, such a simple solution, i did have a problem with the NTBackup which would not restore from my 4MM Dat so I used Arcserve 2000 and it worked fine. Have a virtual drink on me.

C.

Your Welcome C. Just goes to show a QBE (qualified by experience) beats a paper MCSE anyday!!!! (oops sly dig!!)

Tim.

A bit obvious but moving the i386 and any Service Pack directories helps. Also minimal swap file on C: say 32-64 Meg. Uninstall any software installed on C:. Delete Temp and empty recycle bin. Put it all on D:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back