Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to COUNTIF with cell value greater than cell reference 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingDave

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
GB
Am trying to calculate the PERCENTILE values for several series of data at various PERCENTILE values i.e. 90th percentile, 95th percentile etc.

I have the following formula to do this

=PERCENTILE(R4:R368,$Q$371/100)
(Where R4:R368 is my data set and Q371 is where I set my percentile e.g. for 95th percentile, I set value to 95)

I want to know how many data are above the percentile that I set i.e. how many times do I exceed the 95th percentile?

I know that I can simply take the value of the above percentile formula and type it directly into a COUNTIF formula...

=COUNTIF(R4:R368,">100")
(Where 100 is the value of e.g. the 95th percentile)

...,however, I have several data sets to do this for and want to easily change the percentile and get the latter formula to automatically update.

I have tried putting the cell reference for the percentile into the equation, but anything I have tried either throws up an error or returns 0.

Any ideas?

DD

PS have already tried the following:

Returns 0
=COUNTIF(R4:R368,">Q371")
=COUNTIF(R4:R368,">(=Q371)")
=COUNTIF(R4:R368,">(=value(Q371))")
=COUNTIF(R4:R368,R4:R368>Q371)

Returns an error
=COUNTIF(R4:R368,>Q371)

Hi,

I think you would need to do something like this.

=COUNTIF(R4:R368,">"&Q371)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back