Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to connect additional hub...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkr1

Technical User
May 22, 2002
US
I have a C16465B SuperStackIII 24 port at my main server location with about 20 PC's connected to it. I have 300 ft of Cat5 cable running to another location where I need to connect a small hub and add 2-4 more PC's.

Can I use just any hub or switch, which ports do I plug into, do I need different pinning specs for my cable?

Thanks...

Dave

You can use any hub or switch, and the choice is usually dependent more on operational requirements than anything else.

If you choose a hub/switch with an uplink port, you would connect the 3000 foot cable to a non-uplink port on your existing SuperStack and to the uplink port on your new hub/switch, in which case you would use a standard straight cable, which is probably what your existing cable is.

If you choose a hub/switch without an uplink port, then you would need to use a crossover cable instead of the standard straight cable. As a result, it is usually worth spending the extra shilling to get a switch/hub with an uplink port.

Best wishes from Riley.

I was hoping it would be that easy...

Thanks Riley and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back