Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to buy a server (first time) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben23

Technical User
Mar 10, 2005
GB
ben23 (Visitor) Jul 3, 2002
Hi all,

I need some advice as I am looking to buy a server to host a group of people and set up their different web sites on it. I am currently a budding web developer but I have about ten people interested in hosting and I am realising the potential extra few bob it could bring home. What would your advice be on buying a server and what kind. It would only be 'small time' for a small set of people and I am not looking to spend much at all.

I would appreciate any feedback or advice on my intentions.

Cheers,

Ben.

Look at my previous response on the other thread, but reply here, as it is a different topic. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

Thanks for your time Mike,

Responding to the message posted in the other topic you mention;

I would probably be looking at websites with the minimum amount of hits, something really low like 1000 per month. So what would the limitations before overload be on the cheaper servers, i.e how many hits per day/month could they handle?

Also, Ive had a thought, couldn't I just get a upgrade card or chip for my current PC to adapt to a server. It's only 2 years old. Back when the processors were 500mhz max (mine is a Gateway 500mhz). Would you reccomend anywhere to visit so I can have a look at my options?

Thanks Mike,

Ben.

If your computer either starts going down or is getting hit really hard performance wise, then it is time for a server. Yes, you could just use that computer, however, I wouldn't use it for both a server and a workstation if you can help it. A server should only have the software you need to make it run. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back