Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wanna!!! switch to unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

soodvarun

Programmer
Apr 21, 2001
CA
i am not getting how to install unix on my PC at present i am having win 98 and i switch on to UNIX how to do that and which version to load? i want to do UNIX+C combination

Hello Soodvarun

I think U have to partition U'r disk one for windows and another for Unix.
So if you want to logon to Unix You should do that initially using the partition
without logging on to Windows. Do try. It will work.

anitas

You could look at Mandrake. They have a fake install which puts Linux into a really large file on your hard disk. It's not as good as a real Linux install, but it's supposed to be a lot easier. (OTOH, this is based on their ads. I've never tried it myself.)

The two other ways that I know of are either partition your hard disk. (People keep mentioning Partion Magic for this job.) Or add a second hard disk for the Linux system (this is my favored approach).

I know from personal experience that adding a second hard disk is relatively easy, and makes a dual-boot system about as easy to manage as two single boot systems. The other approaches I know rather less about, but have heard many successful reports of the repartitioning approach (my experiences were a bit less cheerful, so make really good backups ahead of time). I haven't heard much yea or nay about Mandrake's image file, but it could obviously be destroyed from windows, even by accident, so I wouldn't do much more than test things out that way.

You can shrink your existing win98 partition like I did with FIPS. You can get it from the FreeBSD website. Just don't make the windows partition too small to hold the ton of stuff that ends up there. You'll end up splitting up the existing Windows partition and deleting the second partition. I used a Compaq laptop that already had two partitions on it. So the new partition for Unix became E:
Then you can install Unix on the second partition. Like they say: back it up, it's a good practice. I eventually installed windows ME, but removed it, and later Windows 2000 on the same laptop without any trouble.
Good luck,
Bjcorne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back