Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAN simulation with 2 routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2001
AU
Is it possible to simulate a WAN between 2 routers.

I have a 1603 and I am wondering if I can connect the BRI to another one using a crossover cable?

I am looking to simulate either ISDN or FRAME

If I was to get another 1603 or anything else could this be done?

Kaine,

It is possible to simulate Frame Relay between two routers, but you need the correct hardware interfaces on each router, ie. serial interface. You will require a X.21 DCE and X.21 DTE serial cable connected to each other.

The 1603 does not come standard with a serial interface, but has a ISDN BRI port on board. You would have to purchase a serial card to go into its expansion slot. The 1601 router has the serial port on board.

I have not been able to simulate ISDN between two routers using a cable back-to-back. I think you need some device that simulates the ISDN. If anyone out there knows of a cheap and easy way to simulate ISDN, I would also like to know the recipe.

JimmyZ

ISDN is very tough to simulate in that you need an isdn switch to generate the ISDN span signals there might be a few boxes that could do it but your gonna pay. you could check
good luck

MARK

Incidentally you would need to add the clock rate 56000 command to the router functioning as DCE. You can identify which router has the DCE cable connected via the show controllers serial command. Personally I just add the command to both routers as the command only takes effect on the DCE device anyway!

I have just done this in our lab, just be aware that it isn't the exact same as a WAN frame relay connection. 56K clock rate straight through on the DCE to DTE will give quicker response than a 56K FR circuit. You are not dealing with CIR's or the other congestion you get on a regular circuit. You can get WAN emulation software you if you need exact test environments.

If you have an adtran 500 this will simulate the isdn circuits. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

What pins do I need to cross over to make the DCE/DTE Cable for the serial cards?

Can I buy these from somewhere or do I need to get it made?

Regards,
Kaine Sherwood
KSherwood@Csr.com.au

Pacific Cable

eBay

yahoo auction

Should not run anymore then 40 bucks a cable for 6-10 ft.. I paid 32 for my last 4 cables.

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back