Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAN Protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0mbachi

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
US
The following question only accepts A as the correct answer, but even in the explanation, other options are listed as "WAN protocols". Shouldn't A, B and C be valid choices? Is there a comprehensive listing of WAN protocols?

Start of question:

Select the protocols that are considered WAN protocols.

A. EIA-530
B. V.24
C. G.703
D. FDDI
E. 802.2 LLC
Answer: A
Explanation: Ethernet, 802.3, 802.5, 802.2 LLC, and FDDI are considered LAN protocols. Some WAN protocols are dial on demand, SDLC, HDLC, X.25, frame relay, ISDN, PPP, EIA-530, V.24, G.703, EIA/TIA-232, V.35, EIA/TIA-449, and HSSI. There are more WAN protocols since these internetwork connections are often very expensive.

End of question. I was surprised that V.24, "standard RS-232" is considered a WAN protocol. Can someone verify this for me?

Sure, if you do Dial on Demand Routing with a standard
modem and you are calling a remote connection (say all
the way across town) to another router (you have just
entered the WAN Realm).

Of course! Thank you for showing me the obvious, dogbert2.

Would you concur that the question should have A, B and C as the answer, rather than just A?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the Exam simulator". If that's a product brand, the answer is "no". Are you referring to a specific or generic tool?

balaganesh: I am focusing on the three Cisco products ESIM, Odom's book and have just received the Flash. Those three represent a very good body of knowledge. I also have Lammle's study guide and CCNA Virtual Lab e-trainer, both picked up from Amazon at extremely good prices.

I am having substantial problems with all of the esims in the Cisco products and have developed a rather substantial dialog with a CiscoPress rep. I have yet to make an esim from Odom's book or the Flash product work properly. Thus far, Cisco has responded with what things are supposed to do and don't seem to acknowledge the problem. For example, last night I went thru question ID# 5421 where the instructions are:

Configure Host D and Lab_A within the 192.5.5.0 network. Configure Lab_A to allow Host D to telnet to it's e0 interface with a virtual terminal password "remoteaccess".

I console into the router, use en with no password required and get the expected prompt "Lab_A#". I type:

config t
int e0
ip address 192.5.5.1 255.255.255.0
no shutdown
line vty 0 4
login
password remoteaccess

I then telnet into the router, successfully. I can click on "show answer" and nothing happens and there is no grading function on the esim questions like on the non-esim questions. I had first wondered if the answers were being displayed in a pdf format and actually popping up behind the macromedia product, but that does not appear to be the case. Thus, I click done, move on to the next question, then enter "item review" mode to check the status of ID#5421. I have received 0/4 points. What am I doing wrong? Is anyone else using the Cisco ESIM product? Are you able to successfully complete ESIMs and get a grade? Are you able to view answers expected by the authors by clicking the "show answer" button? I'm wondering if this could be a factor of my Windows 2000 installation and 2 1/2 years of fairly aggressive use.

:) you will see more problems like these very often in these ESIM's. Lots of bugs, and they dont seem to be interested in clearing them up.
But, what I see from your questions(not only these,many more), Looks like your fundamentals on Cisco is right.
have a look at You will find lot of new questions which are posted by the guys who have taken the exams recently. This is a chinese site, but am sure u can find a way to download lot of dumps. these are very usefull and accurate too.
the guys whom we train for these exams, we pretty much suggest them not to depend on these ESIM's.

--Ganesh
TopGun Technologies
--Ganesh
TopGun Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back