Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAN IP for Network Printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComTech101

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2003
US
My LAN has a network printer. I want to connect it to a static WAN IP 66.1x.xx.xxx. Current scheme is IDSL Modem to Linksys befsr81 router to LAN. Befsr81 has DHCP on with default gateway of 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. All workststions on the LAN carry the same subnet obviously. At first, I conneted the printer DHCP for connection verification,it installed with IP 169.254.66.200 then deleted it and the software, reinstalled using static WAN IP 66.1x.xx.118. I couldn't ping it. Must I install a print server device between the printer and router or is scheme wrong.

Robert

I am guessing you want the Printer available from the Internet? You should be able to put the printer in a DMZ on the router and allow either network (local or public) to access it. ALso, what kind of printer is it? Does it have an internal NIC or external?

NIC in the printer is internal. Printer model Konica 2300dl

The printer should have a static 192.168.1.x address, outside of the DHCP pool. You should be able to narrow the pool of addresses assigned to DHCP, maybe to 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100, then use an address above 100 for the printer. This is true whether the DMZ feature is used or not.

I don't know why DHCP didn't work, but that's all that the 169.254 address means.

I'd be very nervious connecting a printer to the Internet without restricting access. Any fool on the 'net can tie up your printer and waste consumables.

The device must accept WAN traffic with 66.1x.xx.xxx, so other networks outside the office may print to it. We already have a printer connected using the parallel port to a JetDirect 170 into the router with the printer IP set to 66.1x.xx.xxx and it is operating correctly. Of course the last digit is different than the one I'm trying to give the new printer.

OK, I misunderstood. If you have multiple public IP addresses available, then you could assign one to the printer and plug it in outside the router.

If it was plugged in on the LAN side of the router then it would need a LAN address and forwarding enabled on the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back