Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WalMart's $200 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

menning

Vendor
Aug 29, 2003
US
WalMart is selling a $200 PC, Here are the specs:

128 MB memory
20 GB hard drive
CD-ROM drive
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet connection
Lycoris Desktop/LX operating system (Linux-based)
Modem and floppy disk drive are not included

Now...this OS sucks, granted, but does anyone know if there is driver support to reformat and load a Windows OS??

It would be extremely unlikely that Windows isn't capatible of running on this machine.
Just check with Walmart that the system comes with a motherboard driver disk but then again, XP generic driver data base (built into Windows XP) shouldn't have any problems detecting and installing generic drivers straight out the box.
I think it goes without saying that you are buying into a very cheap integrated system and all the shortcomings that entails but as a simple office/home internet PC it will be fine, just don't expect any sort of gaming experience from the PC or decent technical support from a super marcket.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I would find out who made the motherboard and make sure they have a website with drivers. We have Dell gx50's that need a driver to make the sound card work correctly. ( XP did not set the sound up right.)

OK, I read somewhere that Microsoft was offering a pretty sweet deal for WinXP with one of those Walmart/Linux boxes, just simply to lure more people into using their product over Linux's supposedly "user-friendly" Lindows OS.

So, if Microsoft was offering a discount on WinXP when you purchased this system I would assume that it will safely run on this system.

And if the sound or any other onboard part doesn't work, pick up a cheap SB Live card or other equivalently cheap, possibly used part to replace the onboard part.

-----------------------
Fishguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back