Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wallpaper keeps changing automtically! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hi, I have a Windows XP PRO SP3 machine, when I go to desktop properties, and i select a picture as my wallpapers it works fine until I reboot....when I reboot it goes back to the default xp wallpaper, my wallpaper gets changed everytime I reboot. Is there a way to fix this? I would like my wallpaper NOT to change back automatically. Thanks :)

Are you on a Domain where a Group Policy may be overriding your settings?

Lots of ideas and discussion occurs in this thread.

How to save desktop wall paper with profile?
thread779-961312

No, I am not on a Domain, this computer is part of a "workgroup" and I have full admin rights to it

If GP is in the mix here then the Admin Templetes - Desktop- "Don't save settings at exit" flag could be set. Or several others for in GP for that matter.

weird thing is that when i go to group policy user configuration administrative templates I do not see a desktop option to change desktop settings..

Does it always change to the same thing, or does it change to something random. There are several software programs that will do this (like webshots for example).

It changes to the same thing (windows xp wallpaper)I do not have webshots or any other wallpaper changing program. When I reboot I see my wallpaper for 2 seconds and then it goes back to the windows xp one

This link talks about Monitors and color management being a cause. Did you read that first link I posted, I considered it to be a good all round education about this problem.

user loses desktop photo
thread779-1473043

Run from a command prompt (Start > Run > type "CMD" & [enter]):

SFC /SCANNOW

and have your XP CD at hand...

a system file may have become corrupt or is flagged as being corrupt (changed manipulated etc.) (e.g. THEMEUI.DLL)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

thanks guys, it turn out it was a monitor drive issuer, I downloaded a newer driver and now everything is great. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back