Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wake on LAN not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
Hi I have an IBM xSeries 232, type 8668 that is running R2. Previously it ran Red Hat, and CentOS, as a file server, and in both cases it would start via WOL. After installing R2, it does not wake up from a standard shutdown.

This machine is being used as an "archive" and does not need to be live 24/7, so we were hoping to use WOL.

I have checked the BIOS and setup ( no changes since Linux ), the network card has the latest drivers, but nothing. In the properties pane of the NIC setup in control panel, I have selected to allow the NIC to wkae the machine.

Any ideas? Seems odd for something I never had problems with before to be giving me such a hard time..

Thanks?

Got it sorted...

Turns out that I needed to change a setting in the PXE control and in the BIOS config. First I had to enable PXE/DHCP linking to the planar NIC in BIOS. Then, in the PXE control, I had to enable "legacy non-windows support for the planar NIC."

Not sure why it all worked before with various flavours of Linux without these changes, but problem solved anyways.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back