Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W98 WLAN Password problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

srfdude

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
I'm using D-Link 650+, 520+,514+ system. W2K, desktop, W98SE desktop, W98SE laptop. Had problems with SB card; had to reinstall DWL520+ a couple times in the W98 desktop. Now, while I have internet access on all machines, the 2 W98s won't talk to each other or the W2K machine regarding file sharing. A password window comes up and I can't figure out how to get around it. I've deleted the pwl files, set up a user group in the W2K machine with password, but the W98s won't let me access. But the W2K machine will talk to everyone else.
Help........

If it wasn't for this "the 2 W98s won't talk to each other", I would suspect a permissions problem on the Win2K machine. Permissions may still be an isssue, but the 98's should talk to each other fine. Do the 98's see each other in Network Neighborhood? and what happens when you try to access 98#1 from 98#2 and vice versa?

No, they don't see each other. A little add: all machines ping each other. But I can't get past the password sign-ons. And I wish I knew more about this networking stuff. Do I need to have domain "turned on?" Or just all in the same workgroup? Should "log on to Win NT domain" be on? I have installed NetBEUI on all. There are so many variables and it seems they all want to reboot with every change it takes forever to get anywhere.
Mike

As Smah said - permissions issue accessing the 2k machine. You need a user (not a group) on 2k machine with same credentials (user name/password) for each 98 logon. Then, assuming you've shared filestore on the 2k machine, you'll get access to it from 98.

What happens between the 98 machines when trying to access filestore on one from the other?

PS. You don't mention how you access internet (eg, broadband connected to router, ICS etc - but generally you only need one network protocol - TCP/IP). You definitely don't need log on to NT doamin - unless you have an NT or 2k server and are running a domain. All machines should be members of same workgroup.

Okay, thanks guys. After a little more work, I found the C drive on the 2K was default named C$. Don't know why, but that was one problem; I made a new share named simply C. Also turned off all the NT domain log-ons; now one W98 will have a 2way conversation with the W2K. So I just have to get the laptop to have the same settings as the other 98 and it should all work. I'm using a cable modem with a D-Link 614+ router; the internet connection worked on all 3 machines instantly. I had tried a wireless LinkSys a year ago with no luck; I like this D-Link a lot better. Too bad the customer service sucks...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back