Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W95SR2 & w98SE install ok but on startup hang displaying w95 & w98 scr

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNJ

Technical User
Apr 1, 2002
US
I have had several PCs, mainly Compaqs install win 95 SR2 and Win 98 SE error free but when the system starts up to run the OS the first time the system hangs with the Win 95 or Win98 logo screen displayed and that's all she wrote Must reboot & start in safe mode, restart & end up the same way. Any ideas anyone?

In your network properties (Start->Settings->Network), do you have "Client for MS Networks" listed under the Primary Network Logon? Even if you have the pc on a LAN/WAN, try changing this to Windows Logon temporarily to see if this makes a difference. If not, try uninstalling Client for MS Networks and reboot.

Other things you could try in Win98:

- Start->Run and type msconfig. Hit Enter and go to the startup tab. Uncheck unnecessary apps from starting with Windows.

- Hit F8 during the boot process. At the menu, choose step-by-step confirmation and see if you can tell where it's failing.

- Open your autoexec.bat and config.sys files in Notepad and REM any lines that look suspicious

Something here should help you!!

Sorry for the typo, network settings is located at Start->Settings->Control Panel->Network

~cdogg

If the step by step confirmation doesn't help, I'd try removing one piece of hardware at a time until you are left with a harddrive, video and a motherboard. It sounds like Windows is hanging while detecting the PC's hardware. My biggest hunch would be the Sound card and Network card for causing trouble. Compaq, in my eyes, is notorious for having hardware that only works with their drivers. If removing them works, and you are able to successfully boot Windows in Normal mode, get the drivers for the offending hardware first..install it...shut down...re-install the hardware..then boot again and see if Windows runs through the hardware detection smoother. Let me know how it works out.

Dan

Thanks for the efforts even tho none helped. Final solution was to replace the HD. This drive also failed in another Compaq 575E the same way. All diag & lowlevel format worked error free on the drive. Can't explain it & don't care now that it works.
Harry E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back