Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W95 thinks something changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjohnson

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
US
Hi, everytime I start windows 95, I get a message that says "Windows is now setting up the following items". It doesn't list any items. It's as though W95 thinks something in the configuration has changed. The message is displayed for a few seconds and then goes on, so it's not really a problem. I would just like to stop it. Does anyone know what triggers W95 into displaying this message? Maybe something in the registry is in error?

Thanks,
Chris Johnson

Could be. Have you recently played with your BIOS? Is your BIS set to Plug and Play aware OS? How about IRQ handling in the BIOS, has that changed? Do you have an Anti-Virus program running AND is it updated? James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

<<Have you recently played with your BIOS?
If you mean the setup screens you can get into when the pc is first started, I haven't touched that.
<<Is your BIS set to Plug and Play aware OS?
Don't know. It would have to have been set by default.
<<How about IRQ handling in the BIOS, has that changed?
Not that I am aware of.
<<Do you have an Anti-Virus program running AND is it updated
The company now has a corporate edition running, but this was happening a couple of months before that was installed.

Thanks

SCAN your system. It could be a virus playing with you. Could also be a registry problem. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Any questionable items in the device mangler. Sounds like it is finding something but not handling it correctly.
I would go into every possible hiding place to see that there are no errors and also look for possible IRQ conflicts/address conflicts. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back