Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W95 Regclean.exe Hangs -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 1999
US
In supporting several hundred W95 PCs, I have often used REGCLEAN.EXE, never with any malfunctions or bad results. Today, I have one PC where REGCLEAN just stops, while it is Scanning Type Library Identifiers for Errors. Regclean stops with the progress gauge about 10 blocks short of complete, with both the start and cancel box greyed out. Control-Alt-Delete shows the program, without a Not-responding flag. I can kill the program there, but can't get it to finish. Any other tools I can use for registry cleanup? Scandisk says everything it checks is fine. (This PC is basically working, but has some squirrely traits that caused me to try Regclean). <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

How much RAM memory does it have? How big are the system.dat & user.dat files? <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= shared.freeservers.com/searchmaster.html>SearchMaster Interface...11-in-1</a><br>Wanting to learn Assembler; please e-mail me any tutorials or links for it that are useful to you :)

You definately have some bad keys when RegClean stops like this.<br><br>You might want to try a more powerful cleaner such as EasyCleaner:<br>With EasyCleaner you can speed up your computer, free disk space and increase usability by deleting invalid registry entries, deleting invalid shortcuts, deleting duplicate and unnecessary files.<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> RegCleaner:<br>RegCleaner is an easy to use program. With RegCleaner you can easily get rid of those old and obsolate registry entries created by software that you have destroyed ages ago. And by easily, I mean easily! You don´t have to be any expert to use this program. Note that this program is not like those other so called registry cleaners, they search any filenames from registry, then if the file doesn´t exists anymore they remove the registry key or value where this filename was. But RegCleaner shows you the list of software that are registered in the registry and by checking checkboxes you select which software you don´t have anymore and RegCleaner removes all registry created by those programs automatically. You can also remove start up programs that are started behind your back and can dramatically decrease your computer´s performance. <br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

You can look at Regclean and see the registry keys it is updating or attempting to update. It might be tedious, but you can examine the keys at the end to see if you can note any problems. Don't know if regcleans makes any kind of log file to examine when it halts.

Try exporting the whole registry to a REG file. If there are keys that can't be read, you will get an error there, and if I remember correctly, it will say which key it can't read. (I don't have a broken registry handy to test thankfully!)

I have heard that SCANREG.EXE that comes with WIN98 will run on WIN95 just fine. I have never tried this though.

I often clean up registry corruption by exporting to REG file, then rebuilding it in &quot;DOS Mode&quot;

1. Export entire reg to C:\WINDOWS\DUMP.REG
2. Boot to DOS. (Not a command prompt in windows, shutdown to DOS)
3. CD WINDOWS
4. REGEDIT /C DUMP.REG

It WILL take a long time if your registry is large. I have seen this process take 3 hours with a 6 meg registry, but the result is a completely rebuilt SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back