Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w3wp.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNorris

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2007
US
Hello,

I'm running windows 2003 server and every day about the same time, w3wp.exe seems to run and use allot of CPU's. Most of the time it doesn't use much if any. I'm new to 2003 so I'm not sure how to debug it.

That process is the one that IIS 6.0 uses to manage its application pools. If the services is using a lot of CPU at a specific time of day then that likely means that there is a website that is being used during that particular part of the day and only that part of the day.

If you want to know which website is using the CPU cycles, assuming that you have more then one, then I would separate all of the websites into different application pools and then use the information on this website ( to determine which one is using the CPU cycles.

Here are some links that should be helpful in giving you a better understanding of IIS 6.0.

Hi,

I'm only running one site however there are dozens of sub folders. Going by the page you suggested I typed in iisapp.vbs the comd prompt.
I get the following message:
This script does not work with Wscript. (Click ok)
Then:
Would you like to register CScript as your default host for VBscript? (Yes or no) I choose no till someone says its ok to do other.
Any more suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back