Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W3DBSMGR.EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

briteeyez

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
EC
Hi

One of my users keep getting the following error, when they try to open ther program Maimixser which is dependent on Pervasive.

The error is "W3DBSMGR.EXE has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program"

Any ideas why I am getting this error and what I can do to solve the issue.

Thanks

What's the version of W3DBSMGR.EXE? I haven't seen anything like this. What OS are you running on?

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

It's probably an issue for Pervasive to look at for you. What you should try to do is get hold of the drwatsn32.log and user.dmp files at the time of the crash to see if there's anything in there that Pervasive can use to investigate the problem (assuming you're on a supported version of the software). To obtain a user.dmp of ntdbsmgr.exe (without it being overwritten by the subsequent crash of the anti-virus process).

1. Ensure that drwtsn32.exe is set up as the "Just In Time" debugger.

From a Command Prompt window run

drwtsn32 -i

2. Make sure that drwtsn32 is setup to generate user dumps.
Run drwtsn32 without any arguments

drwtsn32

Make sure the "Create Crash Dump" check box is enabled and the "Crash Dump" path is pointing to a location with sufficient disk space.

3. Edit the Windows registry using regedit. Go to the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

Change the value for the "Auto" setting from 1 to 0. This setting change will ensure that Windows will prompt the Console operator before running drwtsn32 to generate a user.dmp.

4. When an application crash occurs there will appear a message box on the server

Make sure that the application mentioned is NTDBSMGR.exe. Hit the Cancel button. This will cause drwtsn32 to run.
A second "Application Error" message box may appear at this time referring to "VsTskMgr.exe". Ignore it for now (till step 7).

5. Drwatson will disaply pop up a message box

Depending on the version of Windows the message box may look slightly different and may have a Cancel button. Wait for the OK button to become enabled (if it is not) and then hit OK. Do not hit the Cancel button if one is present.

6. At this time you may copy away the user.dmp file that drwtsn32 generated for the crashed ntdbsmgr.exe.

Sorry where I said NTDBSMGR.exe I meant to say W3DBSMGR.EXE

you have to be sure that all workstations are using the same version of Pervasive engine. I have had a few "issues" with Maximizer myself. What version of Max are you running? What O/S on the computers? Sometimes Max starts up BEFORE the Pervasive engine (which doesn't work), so I either add the W3db....exe to my startup folder or I start it manually BEFROE starting Maximizer.

sorry about that - it was

7. Another "Application Error" message box like the one in step 4 may appear. It will refer to vstskmgr.exe if it crashes immediately after ntdbsmgr. Hit the OK button this time. This will ensure that no user.dmp is generated for vstskmgr.exe and no overwriting of the user.dmp file occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back