Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w3dbsmgr.exe pegs CPU around 100% constantly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBucket

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2004
US
We have recently upgraded our database from btrieve to PervasiveSQL. We started having connectivity issues. Upon inspection of the server I noticed that the CPU is pegged at 100% all the time. At the time of this writing it has been over an hour and the CPU is still at 100%. There are approximately 50 users hitting this database. Memory utilization is not high.

What can we do to moderate the CPU Usage? Will Pervasive utilize second CPU if we install it?

Exactly what version of Pervasive.SQL are you using? Make sure you're patched to SP1 or V8.5 and you've installed the HotFixes.
You might also look at turning off the Cache Engine. I've heard that the cache engine could cause high utilization.

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Thank You for your response.

We are on 8.0. The two services I see are Pervasive.SQl(relational) and Pervasive.SQL(transactional). How do I check into turning off the cache?

If you really are at 8.0, I would strongly suggest patching to at least Pervasive.SQL 8.0 SP1 (v8.10). As far as turning off the Cache Engine, once you're patched you should see a "Allow Cache Engine Connections" in the Access portion of the Server COnfiguration. Turn that Off and you'll disable the cache engine.
If that doesn't work, call Pervasive and open a support ticket.

info@mirtheil.com

How can I tell what version I am on and what service pack or patch I am on?

Easiest way is to check the version of W3ODBCEI.DLL and W3ODBCCI.DLL and W3DBSMGR.EXE or NTDBSMGR.EXE.

info@mirtheil.com

The files in question have the same dates:
W3ODBCEI.DLL is 02/20/2003
W3ODBCCI.DLL is 02/20/2003
W3DBSMGR.EXE is 02/20/2003

OKay.. What's the version of those files?

info@mirtheil.com

We had the same problem. We're on 8.1 and not 8.5 because PFW doesn't support 8.5 yet. We had a conference call with Best Software (Platinum for Windows) and Pervasive. The setting to turn client side caching off is in the interface to 8.5, but in 8.1 you need to edit the registry.

Look for:
Page Server Allow Client Cache and set to off.

We also changed Background Threads from 4 to 16 to improve performance on the server.

However - please keep in mind we made these changes after consulting with pervasive, but it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back