Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w3c valid frameborders html & css 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS1983

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
AT
Hi!
I have a question concerning frameborder attributes in html and css.

in html i know these attributes:
border="0" frameborder="0" framespacing="0"
but:
they are not w3c validated...
(the doctype i used is:<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN&quot; &quot;)

Does anybody know valid attributes for the frame border?

2nd Question: what are these border attributes called in css?

Thanks in advance...
Stefan

border=&quot;n&quot; or a number for the width

frameborder=&quot;yes&quot; or &quot;no&quot;

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

frameborder=&quot;no&quot; should have the same effort as frameborder=&quot;0&quot;

Where on that site can I find those definitions?

It has the same effect, but &quot;n&quot; or &quot;no&quot; are the accepted definitions... I don't know why they felt they had to change what was working perfectly well.

W3C.org is a good place for the definitions, if you can wade through the tons of info.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Hmm the validator doesn't like those definitions neither =(.
See the output:
This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Frameset!
Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 14, column 36: there is no attribute &quot;BORDER&quot; (explain...).
<frameset cols=&quot;200,*&quot; border=&quot;n&quot; frameborder=&quot;no&quot; framespacing=&quot;0&quot;>
| ^
Line 14, column 52: there is no attribute &quot;FRAMEBORDER&quot; (explain...).
<frameset cols=&quot;200,*&quot; border=&quot;n&quot; frameborder=&quot;no&quot; framespacing=&quot;0&quot;>
| ^
Line 14, column 70: there is no attribute &quot;FRAMESPACING&quot; (explain...).
...00,*&quot; border=&quot;n&quot; frameborder=&quot;no&quot; framespacing=&quot;0&quot;>
| ^
The only thing i found was frameborder(if i remember correctly) as an attribute for the frame tag...not for the frameset tag but that doesn't do the job...
I'll try it again...

Yes that's where the frameborder should stand in..., the frame tag...
netscape and other browsers only understand border & framespacing... so in order to display the site correctly in other browsers you need to take these attributes...(but sadly they are not valid &quot;HTML 4.01 Framset&quot; code.

I don't even know if you can specify those attributes in css... I'll tell you tomorrow...

good night...
stefan

thanks clarkin, that works pretty good, but there is still a border left...
we're on the right way though =)
maybe somehow we can fix this through the css...

stay tuned results will be posted.

by the way those attributes(&quot;frameborder&quot; &quot;framespacing&quot; & &quot;border&quot;) are not valid but they do their job...

bye
stefan

Well, you should get a valid result if you just use frameborder=&quot;no&quot; in every frames. But there is still problem with positioning when using NS, for example. At least Opera will show the page correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back