Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W32.Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon27

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
CA
i got this virus(W32.Weird) on my windows xp, after searching the web on both MSN search and Yahoo search, this is the only help i could get

i got up to step 3 then got stuck on #4,
the name from step 3 is, W-Z8A9~1 EXE i tried to put that in where it said name from step 3 on the instrucions but it never worked,

if someone could take the time to read the instructions on the site linked and help me out by telling me what im doing wrong or what i should type i would be thankful,

thanks guys

You need to execute those commands in step 4 from your Windows Command Prompt Window, in which you might need to go to your \Windows directory. The following should open up a Command Prompt Window in XP.

START -> Run... -> Cmd or Command

I hope this may help
Alex

i got this virus(W32.Weird) on my windows Me, after searching the web on google, this is the only help i could get

i got up to step 3 then got stuck on #4,
the name from step 3 is, NDLBNL~1 EXE i tried to put that in where it said name from step 3 on the instrucions but it never worked,
and i tried alexes solution and it didint work

Hi,

I also got this virus yesterday night (18/02/2002),
I just had enough of it and formatted my machine completely. And re-installed Windows XP. After that, I also got hold of a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2002 and installed that.

Hello I also got that virus today! I just used norton to get rid of it but I also got 32.weird (gen1) and I had backdoor.subseven virus and 95.cih and backdoor.trojan stinks to be me got to get off that kazaa.

I have XP to but when I make a Bootable floppy and restart,in dos mode you can't recognize the NFTS partition. Now I can't delete the virus!!
WHAT OH WHAT CAN I DO!!

akira49:
boot on your windows xp cd and format your harddisk and convert it on the same time to FAT.
This can be done with the windows 2000 prof. cd but im not sure if windows xp cd will do.
If u can't do it, use Partition Magic from dos to convert the harddisk to FAT.
Hope it will work for you.

By the way... formatting the hd will probably not remove the virus/viruses. I recommend that u use norton antivirus 2002 to remove them all!

I got this virus today! What a nightmare. I have xp pro and also used norton 2002. It cleared all 513 w32.weird viruses but left w32.weird(gen1). When i rebooted it started muliplying all over again. how can i get rid of this hardy virus!!!! PLEASE help.

Daimo try this. Go here read this page and print their manual removal instructions. Then create a startup floppy disk if you don't have one. I don't have XP but it's probably in the control panel--add/remove--startup disk tab. Then run another scan and delete the infected files. Then turn off the computer, insert the startup disk, and turn it on again. It should boot to the disk and be at a prompt. Then follow the manual instructions you printed. When you're done remove the floppy and do a ctrl + alt + del and restart the computer. Then run another scan and see if it's still there. If so let us know and maybe someone here can figure something out.

Also, what's listed in msconfig under the startup tab? (start--run--msconfig) The virus may have an entry in there that needs to be unchecked. Have a look.

After running norton it told me the main w32 weird(gen1) virus was attached to the ctfmon exe. file in my system32 folder. this was multiplying to allsorts of files. it wouldn't let me move,delete or rename it because acces was denied.after all day and all night of trying it eventually let me move it into a new compressed folder i created. i filled this folder with allsorts of crap and when i deleted it it deleted all files including the infected ctfmon exe. file. i rebooted and no more problems. i ran norton again and it gave me the all clear. thank god. this was a bloody nightmare virus but at last its gone.
by the way, every other way of getting rid of it on this page didn't work for me.

Yeah this virus is a pain but not much else.

The reason it didnt work for me the way it said was because, i already had the virus quarintined, so it wasnt at the same location as it told me to delete it from in the instructions. I Just restored it then went to dos and deleted it

help, i have the W32.Weird (gen1) virus. i tried doing what is written on the Norton website, but when i try to delete my infected file( c:\windows\qnkzmc-gfc1labo.exe) access denied pops up. what the heck am i supposed to do. i tried moving it into a compressed folder, DAIMO can you give a bit more detail how you got rid of this virus.

I've been battling this for over 12 hours now, and I wish SARC/Norton would tell me which file is creating this crazy mess. I've yet to narrow it down, but it has cost me alot in time and resources.

What we need to know is the source file, the existing information is not accurate. I've deleted every possible file and upon re installing windows, it is back.

The only option I've found successful is a little program called "End It All"... It is able to see what CTRL-ALT-DEL won't, and enable me to stop my 'personal file' in its tracks

Please report everything you've tried, we have to find out the file that causes it.

have tek and prosper
Guru

I am infected with this virus. I have no means of reinstalling windows other than a recovery disk that came with my computer. If I use that, I'll lose every single thing I installed since getting the computer in '99. That'd mean weeks upon weeks of hunting down programs and files and still then I may not be able to find them all. Am i pretty much screwed?

Uhh i dont know what I have, i did a scan with this sophos thing, and it said i have two virus', the win32.weird virus, and like the win95.spaces virus. I've tried removing the win32.weird virus like the symantec page says, but it didn't work, I dont know what to do.

IGotABadVirus, you can try the free trial of Protector Plus. It's the only av program i've seen successfully remove the spaces virus. Maybe it'll remove the weird virus as well so try it. You could also try running the program HelpfulOne linked to above and see if it'll remove weird. I'd like to know if it does.

Or backup all your important files then format and reinstall windows. You may end up doing that anyway.

Whoopee... HelpfulOne's software works... cleans file infected by the w32.weird... but what about the w32.weird(gen_1) which is memory resident? its still there... infecting everything when you reboot. what do i do with that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back