Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W32 TimeService Concept Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2005
US
Hi all,

I have several DCs on site and 2 off site DCs connecting back to the hub site via a VPN. The spoke sites are all in different time zones....

Now to sync W32 time correctly do I set up the hub to sync to the net, then the sites [even though they are in different time zones] back to a hub DC ??

One additional issue is that we have, via login script, a net use time for all users at the hub and spokes to sync back to a hub DC.

Thanks in advance !!

I think that if you sync with the DC using the W32 Time Service and your clients are in the correct time zone within regional settings then Windows adjusts the local time to the same as the time server plus or minus the time difference.

Best way would be to try it in a lab setup. 1 Server and 1 Client. Set the client on a different time zone and give it a go...!

Good Luck,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I need to be sure about this as I do not have a good mock up of the environment [especially across multiple time zones]

Stevehewitt is mostly correct.

In Active Directory, the DC holding the PDC emulator FSMO role is the time source. All other machines will sync to that, using their configured time zones to determine offset.

You'll want to configure that DC (and ONLY that DC) to sync with an external time source.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks Pat.

Quick question ... Do I need to statically set anything on the other DCs to sync their time to the PDC emulator DC? Also if a DC is off site through a VPN will it automatically sync and adjust itself if in a different time zone?

thanks again !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back