Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W32 Stration Word - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrnEyedLdy

Instructor
Sep 12, 2002
US
Hello all,

I have machine that was infected with the W32 Station worm recently. I have followed all recomendations and deleted all registry keys. However there is one that keeps repopulating itself in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CURRENT VERSION\WINLOGON\NOTIFY\Wshaplus

I delete it an it comes back. Have done everything from SAFE mode as well.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Patty

If you can't end up 100% getting rid of it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use something like DBAN (Darik's Boot 'N' Nuke) to format the C: drive in the machine, and start over - just back up everything first.

I only say this because if you're doing it in Safe Mode, and deleting all the registry entries, it would almost seem that there may be also a copy of the malware outside of the OS, on an "unformatted" portion of your hard drive.

By using DBAN, you'll get everything, garaneed, and then can just start fresh - that is if getting rid of the virus is more important than having the machine up and running within the next couple hours.

Just a suggestion.

If your machine is XP or ME then there chould be a copy in your system restore files. Disable and then enable your system restore to clear all your restore points.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back