Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W32.HLLW.ACEBO Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrimes

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
My home pc (Gateway Win98 2nd OS) has been hit by the w32.hllw.acebo.
>
>I've researched this virus and followed the steps to cure my pc but it seems to have corrupted an OS file, (mprexe.exe).
>
>I copied this file from another pc, same OS, but it still will not boot normally.
>
>I can boot to safe mode, which is how I ran Norton and found the virus file mscf.exe and deleted it. Unfortunately this appears to have too late to keep it from screwing my pc up royally.
>
>Anyone have any ideas where to go now. I really didn't want to reinstall the OS but it's starting to look like that's the last option.

TIA

Carrie Grimes

cgrimes@hanoverpa.com

what is the error message you recieve FatesWebb

if you do what I suggested it is not my fault...

Dear FatesWebb,

We didn't get an error message the computer would start up like normal and once you put the password in and click ok. It would hang forever while booting up. When you would push the alt ctrl and delete keys in the box the mprexe.exe was not responding.

Thanks,

Carrie

I also, have been hit by the worm, W32.HLLW.Acebo. It has been replicating .. i too have followed the instructions written in the Norton site.. but it still hasn't been totally removed. I have not reinstalled my OS, but i sure can see it would go there. Is there any option yet? Please help. My Computer doesn't hang.. it just keeps on warning me that Norton cannot repair the file C:\..\..\..\mscf.exe, mssg.exe, tssg.exe and some others.. i hope to hear frm you real soon.. thanks.

Did you let Norton delete or quarantine the infected files? If it gives an error when trying to then restart into safe mode and run Norton from there.

I have also been the victim of the w32.hllw.acebo virus. I have tried every option that I can think of at this point. I ran Norton, and it can't clean the infected files, but it will delete all but one file. I have Windows ME (the worse), and was going to upgrade to XP anyway, so I tried to install it. The installation began fine, then when I had to reboot I got an error message saying XP could not finish the installation because the C: drive was corrupted. So now I'm forced to wipe my drive and start from scratch :(
If anyone comes up with any other ideas, PLEASE, post it.

I too have this dreaded virus. Norton will not remove the last infected file mssg.exe. I have also cleaded the registry (per NAV) but to no avail. Looks like it is time to reinstall XP. Any other ideas

Restart into safe mode and delete the file from there or from a dos prompt. Or try ctrl + alt + del and end task on mssg.exe and then delete it.

I tried for a week to get rid of this hateful virus, using every piece of advice from every forum I could find, and I hate to tell you, I eventually had to wipe my drive clean, delete all the partitians and start from scratch. When I tried to reinstall ME, the install began, then I got a blue screen saying my C: drive was corrupted. So (wishful thinking) I tried to install XP over the ME. No luck. Again the install began then I got another blue screen error saying the install would not complete because of virus like activity (Norton will delete all but one infected file, and it replicates almost immediately). I was also advised by a friend who is a tech not to try to copy any of my files because I could copy an infected file. I lost everything. I really hope someone else has better luck.

I also just had the w32.hllw.acebo virus. I was able to successfully delete the 2 infected files, but when I tried to clean the registry, there is one value left that after I delete it and reboot, it comes back. nothing I have tried to get rid of it has worked. NAV says the computer is now clean and there is no virus left, but I still have this nasty calling card. When I boot up I get error messages galore. HELP...

jpmylott, what registry key are you deleting it from and what's the name of the value?

Also, what startup errors are you getting?

And if you have windows 95, 98, or ME download startlog.com from here and run it. It'll create 2 text files on your desktop. Copy and paste the results of just Startlog (not the Stubpaths file) to your reply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back