Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W3 Validator returns a blank page and says it's invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

returnButton

Programmer
Mar 31, 2009
GB
Hi.. I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, but I can't see it.

When I run my site thru the XHTML validator it says it's a blank page. I am getting the same problem when I run Google Analytics; it thinks my page is blank.

All my sites are in XHTML and I always use the same DOCTYPE and it always works!!

The link is here:
What the heck am I missing?! thanks in advance : )

Hi

On the first attempt to access you site I also got a blank page. I mean, without the validator, just visiting the site.

I would check the web server logs because it looks like a server-side problem to me.

Feherke.

I agree, both Firefox and IE show the page as blank, o source code either, until either you request it again, or in the case of IE you refresh the page.

Just hitting enter in the address bar did not make IE render it.

So it look like there's a problem delivering the page.

As Feherke said it may be a server problem.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Looks to me like you have a page called index.html AND a page called index.php.

The 'proper' page is under index.php but the default for the webserver is to serve index.html FIRST. Only if that page isn't found will it try index.php.

The page doesn't validate though

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Thanks for all your help, great ideas..i would never have thought it was a server problem.

I've got an index.php which is including en.html which the whole site runs off.

I've also got a 404 page set up, to handle some parts of the site (but it shouldn't affect the index).

I have tried changing index.php to .html and .htm and trying different combinations with the DirectoryIndex setting. DirectoryIndex doesn't seem to do anything. I have also tried disabling the 404 rule to, er, rule that out.

And looking in the logs, the response from the W3 validator is 200, which suggests all is well in the world.

But it's not.

Another spanner is that I have 2 domains pointing to the same space, so this could be another cause for it. But to be honest, I'm a bit out of my depth with this one.

I really appreciate the pointers..I'll post back if I get anywhere.

Do you have a page called index.html? If so, remove it.
I don't have time to test at the moment but maybe the validator is looking for index.html first?

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Well..I restructured the whole site, got it working on index.php, got the same results, and put everything back to how it was.. W3 is apparently happy with it now, as is Google.

So now I can get working on all my lovely XHTML errors.

This doesn't really help though, as I'm no wiser. I've even put .htaccess back to how it was.

thanks again for your time +++
-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back