Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2kPro Can see others, can't be seen by others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenstick

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I have a small network.
WinXP Pro on two machines, Win2k Pro on two other machines, Win2kServer on one machine. We have a Linsys cable router that uses its own DHCP to assign IP addresses for Internet connection.

Everyone can see and connect to everyone EXCEPT one of the Win2K Pro machines (of course, its the one with everything to share).

Running "net view" the machine comes up, as well as when you go to network neighborhood, etc. But when you click on the machine name, it says path not found, or not accessible.

Can't ping it either.

Please, some help here?

Go to a command prompt (Start > Run > type CMD) and type IPCONFIG /ALL on the machine that is not working. What IP address are you getting?

Thank you for corresponding. Here is hwat I get from ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : scarecrow
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : plsntv01.nj.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : plsntv01.nj.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : USB 10/100 LAN Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-60-D3-01-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.46.144.6
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 18, 2003 3:13:10 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 19, 2003 3:13:10 PM

It shows "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2". Do you have another Ethernet adapter on the system? Right-click the My Network Places icon and select properties. Why do you have 2 Local Area Connections?

It appears that you are reaching the DHCP server. Not being able to ping the system doesn't make any sense.

Also, the Node Type is set to Broadcast. That may be fine but I'm not sure if that is correct. On my system it is "Hybrid". I'll look into it...

I have this same problem. I'm running about 20 or so PC's mostly 98. The few 2000 pc's can see each other and the 98's but the 98's can't access the 2000's shared folders.

To clarify, it can see the 2000 pc's in Network Neighborhood, but when you click on them, it says they don't exist.

Accessdabbler: I had another card which was removed and replaced with a USB adapter. I have the same observation that ElClap has -- the machine appears in network places across the network, but when you click on it, you get "inaccessible, path not found" I tried mapping directly, same error. Also, on the machine itself, it appears in the Network but if you click on it, you get nothing - inaccessible, not found.

I am frustated. Thank you very much for trying to help out

First, you have to be able to ping the Win2K machines. Try pinging them from a couple different machines. If pinging doesn't work something weird is going on. It is possible that the NICs are set not to respond to pings but that's improbable.

If you can ping them, your problem is likely with sharing and permissions. To share a C drive on a Win2K machine you must create a NEW SHARE and call it whatever you want (say, CDRIVE). If you are only sharing "C$" then it won't work. C$ is a hidden share.

Also, you need to allow users to access that drive. The simplest way is to create a User account called Everyone. Go into the Control Panel and click the Users/Groups icon.

When you create the CDRIVE share you must allow "Everyone" to have access to that share.

Sharing in Win2K is far more complicated than Win98 (and for good reason)!

I can ping win2k workstations fine from any station. Just can't browse to them. The shares on the win2k machine can be seen fine from other win2k pc's so I believe that the shares and accesses are fine. There's just something screwy in the stack I'm thinking, but I can't quite get it.

Accessdabler:

Any attempt to ping the W2K pro machine - including pinging itself - results in a request timed out.

Did you try "ping 127.0.0.1" on the problem machine? If this doesn't work, your TCP/IP installation is buggered up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back