Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k3 tcp/ip issues/ping issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulofmischief

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
evening all. im having an issue(again) with my win2k3 server. its only running IIS and argosoft mail server. ICF is off. it was working fine, auto-downloaded some updates, and installed them. now i can no longer ping my server (from a local computer),cant connect using rdc,etc. therefore my websites and email are down. tried to go into add/remove, but all the quickfixes are dated 4/6/04. the server itself can ping the gateway, get online with no problem, and can ping my desktop. tried setting up dhcp thru my router, but i still cant ping that assigned ip (but it can ping desktop/get online tho). also tried pulling the nic/re-installing/replacing the nic. no go.

Hi

Just a thought - maybe its the workstation that has problems, did you add patches to the workstation ?
I say this because you said the Server can ping the router and as long as you have the gateway setup then it should be able to ping other devices. So can the workstation ping the Router, patches like XP sp2 have firewall seeting which must be considered before installation.
Also try tracert to see how far the ping packet gets from the workstation to the server, see where it stops then investigate that device. ie Server,Router or Workstation.
I am sure some other will have some further tips if you give a little more specific info.

Good luck,

David

Are you pinging via hostname or IP? If hostname then try via IP in case there's a DNS issue. I'd also double-check you IP settings between workstations and servers to make sure they're on the same subnet (or if they aren't that there's routing in place between the two subnets).

workstation was able to connect fine before patches were applied to the w2k3 box (ws is xp w/sp1a), thats the only thing that changed.

as for the overall network, its all sitting behind a linksys befsx41, with 2 ws, 1 server. none of the boxes are running a software firewall (ms or otherwise)

server is running only IIS and argosoft mail server, no dns. ip's are 192.168.1.x, same subnetmask for all. the funny thing is after i could not connect using rdc, i tried hitting one of the websites, no go. same with emails, they'd just bounce. :shrugs:

ended up just reformatting the w2k3 box. tried multiple nics, rebuilding the tcp/ip stack on 2k3 box, etc. its an issue on the 2k3 box that has happened before (about 6-7 weeks ago)... couldnt figure it out then either

To anyone who stumbles across this old thread like I did, I had the same problem of not being able to ping the 2003 server or reach it in any way after I ran DCPROMO to set up a new domain. The server was still fully able to use the network, and I did not have the firewall running. I "fixed" it by going into administrative tools -> routing and remote access, and disable the service. Network connectivity came back immediately. Dunno if it applies to this thread exactly, but anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back