Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K3 server windows update error 0x800C0008 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacca

Technical User
Dec 25, 2003
HK
Hi there,

All in a sudden now 4 of my w2k3 servers (1 testing, 3 production) cannot run windows update. The windows update website return error info as follows:

*** start quote ***
Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in your ocmputer's time setting. To check your date and time setting:
1. On the taskbar, double-click the time
2. Verify that the date and time is correct.

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows Update.

Send error number to Microsoft (0x800C0008)

Note: This sends error informatoin but does not create a support incident; you may or may not receive a response.
*** end quote ***

Of course I checked that date/time info is correct.
Just wondering what else is trigering this error?

FYI I got anothe w2k server, windows updates works well.

Many thanks!

Have you checked your server for blaster, sasser & netsky removal tools. You can get these from or Microsoft?

It may be that your server is infected. Clean it 1st.

Then you should consider to install SUS for remote updates of all systems in your network.

hi saddatabid,

checked that all my servers without virus infection at all,
anyway today can run windows update without problem, not sure if it's a windowsupdate website issue or what.

just curious, can the free SUS works for w2k/w2k3 server as well?

many thanks!

Try disabling revocation checking:

In IE, go to tools, options. Click on Advanced, then uncheck "check for server certificate revocation" in the security section. Reboot.

zacca,

Yes SUS is a free ad-on to Win 2003 Server, not sure if it would work on 2000 though?

But you can certainly try. The thing to look out for is that you must update IIS to v.6 for this to work.

Once you have installed, you just need to tweak your domain policy and that's it! It will will from day 1!

Any problems, then post them here and I will be able to help and assist!

I've seen this problem a lot recently. I eventually put it down to congestion either in my network, the Microsoft server, or somewhere in between.

I found that if you keep trying, after two or three successive attempts, it will eventually allow you to update from the website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back