Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K3 Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

leozero

Technical User
Jul 3, 2005
US
hi everyone.

lets say i want to add a W2K3 server to a network that already has other servers, but only for file sharing. i dont want or need it to do email things and such. all i want it for is restricted file sharing (only a select group of people to access the files on the server.)

here's the question.
1. when installing w2k3 server do i even need to install the exchange software if im not even going to be using it for email.

2. in the setting up the domain, do i just use the DNS numbers and Domain Name like for ex: the other servers are called leo.home.com do i have to put that for the domain name and also use the DNS that comes with the leo.home.com one.

1. Exchange is a seperate product so you would need to licence it anyway, if you don't want email then you don't need to install it.

2. If this is just a file server then you don't need to install DNS either.

When you install the server install it as a member server. which means make sure that it is patched and join it to the domain. Once you do this the server is a member server. Give the server the static IP that you want to use, entering your DNS and WINS (If used) settings. When you create the shares on the server. You can control hew has access to the folder.. from the sharing and security tab from the folders properties. this can be set by either single user or group.

when i finish installing windows 2003 server and boot it up regularly, there's a icon that says continuing server 2003 setup. and when i click that it asks for Internal Domain Information, (DNS, NetBIOS). would that be where i setup the info to add it as a member server or through the regular, right-click network connections, properties, tcp/ip setup?

The computer is a "member server" as soon as you join it to the domain. A "member server" is just a server joined to a domain that is not the DC for the domain.

You would use TCP/IP Setup to set the server's static IP address, and to tell it the location of the DNS/WINS servers on your network (if you have them).

Also, make sure you DO NOT name it the same as the DC or you'll get name collisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back